Control hiding for certain users

joshxdr

I am using LV7.0 on an old Solaris machine. I want certain debugging controls to be automatically hidden when the "operator" user runs the vi. It doesn't have to be super-secure, it is just a question of making the interface cleaner and simpler for the operator. Can you grab environment variables and use those? For example, in the .bashrc script I could make a variable called USER and set it to operator. Of course if would be even cooler if I could use shell commands like "id" to get the user. Is this possible in LV7.0?

I don't have any experience with Solaris, but here are three potential options I can think of:

1. There's an Application class property called User or something similar (which I believe should be available in 7.0) which returns the name of the current user. I don't remember if this is the OS user, or just the LabVIEW user, though.
  2. There's a VI in the palettes called System Exec, which I assume should allow you to run shell commands.
  3. In Windows, you can make a DLL call using the Call Library Function node to call into the Windows API. If Solaris has a similar API accessible through SOs, I assume you should be able to use it using the same method.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with Solaris, but here are three potential options I can think of:

1. There's an Application class property called User or something similar (which I believe should be available in 7.0) which returns the name of the current user. I don't remember if this is the OS user, or just the LabVIEW user, though.
  2. There's a VI in the palettes called System Exec, which I assume should allow you to run shell commands.
  3. In Windows, you can make a DLL call using the Call Library Function node to call into the Windows API. If Solaris has a similar API accessible through SOs, I assume you should be able to use it using the same method.

I used system exec to query environment variables. Worked like a champ!