Dynamic Generation of Labview7.0 Class Hierarchy

Hi Everyone,

as a follow up to this post:

Set alternating diagram colors

I made a utility that will generate Labview 7.0 Familiy Tree.

It is not optimized for speed, but one does need to run it only once ;) (and the result is saved to a file that is included in the zip file).

Caution: the resulting tree seem accurate but it might have errors.

PJM

Download File:post-29-1082645475.zip

• 5 months later...

Very cool code!

PlugIn Control

Has anyone else noticed that the generated tree contains a lot if items that cannot be found in either the palettes or any of the scripting examples/goodies here at LAVA.

One in particular intrigues me. under GObject>>Control there is a PlugIn Control listed. I have long wished to be able to add controls at run time as part of a plugin architecture.

Does anyone know of anything about this object and its use?

• 3 years later...

QUOTE (Michael Ashe @ Sep 29 2004, 01:27 PM)

Very cool code!

PlugIn Control

Has anyone else noticed that the generated tree contains a lot if items that cannot be found in either the palettes or any of the scripting examples/goodies here at LAVA.

One in particular intrigues me. under GObject>>Control there is a PlugIn Control listed. I have long wished to be able to add controls at run time as part of a plugin architecture.

Does anyone know of anything about this object and its use?

When doing some debugging of my own DLL's I ran across some references hanging around in memory and looking further into this I believe that are the controls like ImageControl in <LabVIEW>\resource\PlugInControls when you have IMAQ Vision installed. Basically it seems the IMAQ control itself implemented in an external component as DLL. I do believe however that this DLL makes quite a few very specific callbacks into LabVIEW exported functions so without access to the LabVIEw source code to add specific support functions for a new type of Plugin control it would be very difficult to create a really useful control in that way.

Also this looks like a mixture of VISA resource object scripting (the ImagControlRC) file and a DLL method (visible from ImageControl) that loads a C++ like object virtual table into LabVIEW. Without the actual header file for that virtual table definition AND lots and lots of documentation, there is simply no way to create such plugins. Also it is clearly a mostly C based implementation so probably not what most people here would even consider to be creating.

Rolf Kalbermatter