Modem Toolkit

Could you use the XMODEM protocol? There is some OpenG code that supports XMODEM.

http://forums.openg.org/index.php?showtopic=258&hl=xmodem

Thanks for the link, but I am unable to download the Xmodem VISA library, I think the link to the Xmodem VISA download is broken. I would like to test it out to see if that will work. Does anyone happen to have a copy of the Xmodem VISA library?

I just downloaded it now; I'll post it here for you:

Xmodem VISA.llb

Thanks for posting the Xmodem VISA library. This library won't actually work for what I want to do though. I'm after a vi that will send a file, and not just create the low-level packets to send. I'd love it if someone had a vi that had FP controls like the phone number to call, local file path to get the file from and the remote file path to put it to.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the Xmodem VISA library. This library won't actually work for what I want to do though. I'm after a vi that will send a file, and not just create the low-level packets to send. I'd love it if someone had a vi that had FP controls like the phone number to call, local file path to get the file from and the remote file path to put it to.

You want an implementation of the Hayes AT command set as VI library. I have written various code for such things but it all has issues. One is that a lot of that code is copyrighted and I can't just post it here.

Other issues are that there is not ONE single AT commands standard. Hayes invented it and various modem manufacturers extended, varied and experimented on it, which means there is not one single way to communicate with a modem but many similar ways. The principle is simple. You issue a command line and receive some answer that contains 0, 1 or more data lines and is always terminate by an OK or ERROR response line.

There are various VI examples floating around (Info-LabVIEW, NI LabVIEW discussion forum, probably here too) how to communicate with modems and all of them do work under certain circumstances and with certain modem types but none I would consider a really robust implementation. But they can serve as a starting point for your work.

I have considered at some point to write such a library for broader distribution but the issues about non-standardization with various modems, the resulting support issues and the fact that LabVIEW libraries are rather hard to be sold in any way, have prevented me to invest any real time in this.

Does this link help you at all? It's written for a FieldPoint unit but will work on a PC. Transferring Logged Data from the FP-20xx through Serial Modem Communication.

That seems like it would do what you are asking, but another idea is to configure a PPP connection over the modem. Then you would have a network and could use more modern tools shared folders, etc. to transfer your data. The nice part is that if your link changes to more modern network hardware at some point in the future, your code would not be affected. I would think it's a waste of engineering time to write modem software when various OS components, which are generally much better tested, will do the job for you.