Toolkit Installation Madness

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess your wish is that NI improve the toolkit installation procedure?

I find the Report Generation for MS Office to be a real pain. The problem becomes worse when you have to support a customer that has a different version of MSOffice. How do you handle this? Also, why would you uninstall the old version if you need to support it in older LV versions like 6.1 etc.?

I have some experience with building installshield setup files and know for a fact that it is possible to handle these upgrade issues simply by modifying the installation script. You can perform checks to see what is already installed and place things where they belong.

If NI doesn't want to do this then they can release a new version of the toolkit for each new version of LV. This way you would know exactly what to install where. I also wouldn't mind to have NI require me to run the installation multiple times for each LV version. That would be the most straight forward approach and the easiest to implement on their part.

I find the Report Generation for MS Office to be a real pain.

:yes:

These tools are supposed to make our job easier. But these installation and support problems we deal with each time a version change comes along makes me avoid using the report generator functions for MS Office.

They could improve this process.

Also guess what. The PDA module purchased for version 7 does not work for version 7.1 and the subscription service to the developer suite does not include free upgrades to this module. So just over one year after purchasing the PDA module we get to maintain yet another version of LabVIEW and save as a previous version any new application we want to load on a PDA

• 1 month later...
This seems like something that should be easy to do.

862[/snapback]

Ed, here (attached) is a spec file that will package NI's PID Control Toolkit, if its installed.

post-17-1091488283.png?width=400

This won't work with the current release of the OpenG Package Builder, since the package builder does not allow pathroots in the Source Directory of a File Group. I will re-release a new version of the OGPI that does support this feature, so that the ni_control.spec file will build correctly.

I can work with you to create spec files for all the toolkits, which will allow you to create your own OpenG Packages, from the installed toolkits. You can, oviously, only distribute the OpenG Packages inside your organization, insofar as you have appropriate software licenses for the toolkits.

Regards,

-Jim

Download File:post-17-1091488235.zip

Ed, here (attached) is a spec file that will package NI's PID Control Toolkit, if its installed.

This won't work with the current release of the OpenG Package Builder, since the package builder does not allow pathroots in the Source Directory of a File Group.  I will re-release a new version of the OGPI that does support this feature, so that the ni_control.spec file will build correctly.

I can work with you to create spec files for all the toolkits, which will allow you to create your own OpenG Packages, from the installed toolkits.  You can, oviously, only distribute the OpenG Packages inside your organization, insofar as you have appropriate software licenses for the toolkits.

Regards,

-Jim

1282[/snapback]

The idea I had for doing this would work like this.

You install the tool normally into the oldest version of LabVIEW that the tools supports. Then run the tool and it would copy all the needed files to whatever other versions of LabVIEW you specify.

This would allow you to build the tools and distribute them without worrying about licensing since whoever uses it wold have to have the tools to start with.

I actually did this with the older versions of the RGTK and the PID toolkits, but they do not work with the latest versions.

Ed