Log files in LV 2009 app builder

Ok, so now I can turn on a feature in LV 2009 that outputs a log file when I build an exe. And that log file contains a line that tells me the version number.

Now, what I really want is the installer that installs this EXE to display the version number when the installer runs, so the use can see what version they are about to install. Anyone know a way to make this happen?

Ok, so now I can turn on a feature in LV 2009 that outputs a log file when I build an exe. And that log file contains a line that tells me the version number.

Now, what I really want is the installer that installs this EXE to display the version number when the installer runs, so the use can see what version they are about to install. Anyone know a way to make this happen?

Hi John

I like to use a build script to update the Installer Version to the Application's Version so they are always synchronized.

I use the tags of the project to retrieve this information, I have not tried the log file.

Anyways, once you have the Version Info you could update the Project XML file of the Installer Build Spec to include it in say, the Welcome Title or Window Message?

Is that what you are thinking?

Here are those properties:

<Property Name="WindowMessage" Type="Str">Test Test Test</Property><Property Name="WindowTitle" Type="Str">Hello</Property>

Alternatively I normally name my distribution, including the Version Number.

If the final product is a CD (which is usually the case) then I name the CD accordingly

(And I think you maybe able to overwrite the name of a CD in a autorun.inf file - so you could update that programmatically too if that is the case).

And I like to use Dot NET within the application to show the Version Number (although then Dot NET becomes a dependency of the app)

Here is an example of using the Project XML to get Version Information and what I tend to do with it.

Cheers

-JG