LabVIEW file browser can't see folders

I have posted this question on the NI boards, but the only result was the sound of crickets, so I thought I would try here.

I am using LabVIEW 7.0 on Sparc Solaris 2.6. I am using NFS to serve folders from a RHEL5 linux server. These folders contain my LabVIEW code, and I am mounting them on my Sparc Solaris workstation. When I open the LabVIEW file browser, some folders and files (but not all) appear to be missing. Here is a link to a discussion on the NI boards where someone had the same problem, but no solution was found: LINK. LabVIEW will open the files no problem if I type in the complete path. For example, when I navigate to directory A, there should be SubdirA and SubdirB, but SubdirB does not show up in the file browser. Yet, if I just type SubdirB in the text box, I can navigate to this directory no problem. Using my terminal, I can view these folders without issue. When I use the file browser on nedit, hotjava, tedit, image viewer, etc. I do not have this problem. It is only the LabVIEW file browser that has the problem. I know the obvious answer is to get a more modern version of LabVIEW, unfortunately I am locked into using legacy hardware to be compatible with legacy test equipment. The latest version of LabVIEW my Ultra 5 can run is 7.0. Is there a change I could make to the NFS settings? To the LabVIEW options? Should I try using OpenSolaris instead of RHEL5?

When I use the file browser on nedit, hotjava, tedit, image viewer, etc. I do not have this problem. It is only the LabVIEW file browser that has the problem. I know the obvious answer is to get a more modern version of LabVIEW, unfortunately I am locked into using legacy hardware to be compatible with legacy test equipment. The latest version of LabVIEW my Ultra 5 can run is 7.0. Is there a change I could make to the NFS settings? To the LabVIEW options? Should I try using OpenSolaris instead of RHEL5?

I can't really help much here, but from the little I know of this, NFS may actually play a major part in it. Never had to deal with NFS myself, luckily. If you can change the server side to use a different NFS implementation, that would be at least a start. But it might be the local software that plays up. Solaris had certainly it's very special quirks in many ways.

Are you locked into using NFS or accessing everything over a network share at all? Could a local storage device not work? Unfortunately Sparcs won't have an USB Bus where you could simply plugin an external harddrive. :cool:

• Like 1

I can't really help much here, but from the little I know of this, NFS may actually play a major part in it. Never had to deal with NFS myself, luckily. If you can change the server side to use a different NFS implementation, that would be at least a start. But it might be the local software that plays up. Solaris had certainly it's very special quirks in many ways.

Are you locked into using NFS or accessing everything over a network share at all? Could a local storage device not work? Unfortunately Sparcs won't have an USB Bus where you could simply plugin an external harddrive. cool.gif

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately local storage will not work in my case. And these old Sun stations can't read network folders using smb or zfs, only nfs. I am stuck using another 1998 vintage machine as a file server. At least I can use the linux box for backup and archiving.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately local storage will not work in my case. And these old Sun stations can't read network folders using smb or zfs, only nfs. I am stuck using another 1998 vintage machine as a file server. At least I can use the linux box for backup and archiving.

For testing purposes, you could try hosting your files via NFS on a Windows PC using Windows Services for Unix V3.5.

Wikipedia info

It's a free download, but is not actively supported anymore. I used this some time ago when I had to recover a bunch of stuff from an HP Unix based VME controller. I installed WSU on my PC, created a sharepoint and mounted it from the VME controller without a hitch (no LabVIEW involved though).