LabVIEW Internet access

Hi all,

Currently I am trying to use either Web server or remote panel connection to communicate between two PCs through Internet. When the server PC is connecting directly to the Internet, using the IP address and port number, I can connect to that PC from a remote PC. But if the server PC is under a company's Ethernet, the IP address is only a local IP address. I can not connect to that IP address from Internet. I am not sure how can I find the IP address of the company's router and then find the way to connet to the local PC that is running LabVIEW? How can I pass the company's firewall?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks very much for your time.

Jieyin

You're going to have to talk with the company's IT department. They are the experts on that network and have policies and proceedures they must follow. They may have a proceedure to allow for what you need or they may have a corporate policy explicitly forbidding what you are trying to do.

Tim

If you can create a VPN between the two computers, they will have extra IP addresses on the same subnet and you can create connections in either direction. If you can make an SSH connection, you should be able to make it act like a VPN. Search on the internet for "SSH Tunnelling".

If you can't use a VPN, you will have to ask whoever owns the router create a rule for NAT (network address translation) that forwards inbound requests to your server PC inside the firewall. If none of that is possible or permitted, then like Tim says, you are probably out of luck.

• 2 months later...

i personally use Hamachi most situations where we need to connect computer across the internet. It requires little setup, and uses encryption by default. It requires both computers to have the client installed, and running, and be authenticated. I find it very useful to negotiate networks that employ NAT. You would need administrator rights to install it, also IT departments may still block it's ports, permission would still be required. (BTW: it has a free fully functional "non-commercial" version)

Mike