System font changes from XP to Win7

John Lokanis

It appears that the font used by system controls has changed between XP and Win7. As a result, some character graphics (progress bars using ||||||||) that I used in tables and MCLB system controls no long fit the same. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Di you even know what the font (and size) was in XP and is in Win7? I poked around but could not find it.

Sure wish we could embed data types and controls other than string in a MCLB or table.

thanks for any suggestions.

-John

It appears that the font used by system controls has changed between XP and Win7. As a result, some character graphics (progress bars using ||||||||) that I used in tables and MCLB system controls no long fit the same. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Di you even know what the font (and size) was in XP and is in Win7? I poked around but could not find it.

Sure wish we could embed data types and controls other than string in a MCLB or table.

thanks for any suggestions.

-John

Some of my GUI got severely messed up when they were compiled n XP but were run buy the client in Win7.

I found it easier to switch to compiling in Win7.

Since Win2K I have been adding following to application ini files to "fix" my fonts. These match what I have set development environment to use for fonts.

MyApplication.ini

[MyApplication]

FPFont="Arial 14"

appFont="Arial 14"

dialogFont="Arial 14"

systemFont="Arial 14"

BDFont="Arial 14"

Default Windows System Font.

NT4 - MS Sans Serif

2K/XP - Tahoma

Vista/7 - Segoe UI

• Like 2

I have alway set these in my INI file:

appFont="0" 13

dialogFont="2" 13

systemFont="1" 13

HideRootWindow=True

blinkBG=000000FF

thanks for the font info. I guess I will need to find a way to detect the OS and go from there.

So far Microsoft has kept Arial in all the OS versions and this is the reason I have decided to use this as my standard font for all functions. I even make these my defaults in the labview.ini file for the IDE.

So far Microsoft has kept Arial in all the OS versions and this is the reason I have decided to use this as my standard font for all functions. I even make these my defaults in the labview.ini file for the IDE.

Thanks to you both for this exceptionally helpful information! We struggled with this a while back and then pushed off the resolution to a later date. This gives us a workable solution! Reputation points coming your way!

A couple things I observed:

In zobert's 20Sept post I think the quotation marks should enclose just the font name, not the size. Anyway, it seemed only to work for me the one way.

I found that if I changed the .ini file for a built application (.exe) I had to recreate any shortcuts. (If I just ran the application from the existing shortcut the changes to the .ini file were not applied.) In practice, I expect that won't happen often, but when I was trying to follow what you all were suggesting I ran into this and found it quite confusing. (Nothing I changed in the file made a difference!)

Thanks much!