Plotting a main VI's graph from a sub-VI

orangefob7

I am trying to use a sub-VI to take in an array of data, do some manipulation/extrapolation, and plot the result in a graph inside the main VI. I wish to use a sub-VI because this is done in multiple places in the program. Simply outputting an array of values and piping them into the graph won't work because I must be able to change the name for each trace.

I have tried simply passing a reference to the graph to the sub-VI, but I've had no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

David

You should be able to change each plot's name using a property node in the main VI. IIRC, you have to set ActivePlot first and then you can adjust all of the Plot properties.

Or a short-cut (that I usually take) is to enusre the graph is a Wavefrom Data type. The name attribute can be set for the Waveform adn provided "ignore attributes" is NOT set for the graph, the names will update with the data. I use this approach when the display code has no idea what it is plotting but the source of the data does.

So with the right kind of wire it will work.

Ben

You should be able to change each plot's name using a property node in the main VI. IIRC, you have to set ActivePlot first and then you can adjust all of the Plot properties.

Hi asbo - very true, but the advantage in doing everything inside the VI was I knew what exactly each trace represented (for reference, this is plotting the 10 hottest thermocouples out of 40+). While I could also pipe this information out, I'll then have to include some looping in the main VI to rename all the plots. I was hoping I could just leave all that inside the sub-VI. That said, do you think there's no way to accomplish my initial goal?

If all else fails, I suppose there's no problem piping out the data array, and an array of plot titles, and handling the titling inside the main VI - I'd just like to avoid it if possible. :)

Hi asbo - very true, but the advantage in doing everything inside the VI was I knew what exactly each trace represented (for reference, this is plotting the 10 hottest thermocouples out of 40+). While I could also pipe this information out, I'll then have to include some looping in the main VI to rename all the plots. I was hoping I could just leave all that inside the sub-VI. That said, do you think there's no way to accomplish my initial goal?

If all else fails, I suppose there's no problem piping out the data array, and an array of plot titles, and handling the titling inside the main VI - I'd just like to avoid it if possible. :)

Do the same thing in the sub you woul din the caller but use property nodes derived from the same ref you use to plot it.

Ben

Do the same thing in the sub you woul din the caller but use property nodes derived from the same ref you use to plot it.

To clarify - you can right-click the graph terminal and select Create > Reference. This will let you drop a linked reference on the block diagram. Right-click that, and you can create either a control or indicator. Use those in your subVI and wire that reference into it.