Create Object

Hi guys,

I'm tring to create programmatically some Picture2D indicators to display different pictures,

then again create some indicators on which I could get from a "click down" event, and set some values to them using their refs.

I've tried with VI Scripting, and by invoke node from VI ref, "Create from reference" (which seems to run only in edit mode).

don't know what edit mode serves but I know that it's not what i'm looking for.

I came here so, to look for help. Any clue would be nice.

Thanks again !

At least I know one wrong way.

I'm trying to workaround.

Thanks François!

"Edit mode" refers to the fact that you can only script an object while a VI is in Idle state.

You can create an indicator or control on the front panel of a VI that is not running. For example, a VI cannot execute code to add a control on its own front panel.

At least I know one wrong way.

I'm trying to workaround.

Thanks François!

Search the Dark Side" for the phrase "Controls on the fly" for many threads on this topic.

The easiest aproach uses off-screen hidden objects that are placed there durring development and shown/positioned/sized/labeled at run time. That is the easiest approach.

The other exteme approach uses a picture indicator to render the images of the objects and explicit code is developed to handle the user interaction with those objects. My latest version of this approach took me about 3 months to design, document and then develop, so to don't run to that extreme unless you have to do so. Try to nudge the requirements such that you can put some upper limit on the number of the possible widgets and use the simplier approach.

Ben

Discalimer: The approach I described above was first inspired by a post by JPD and is just my interpretation of that idea.