So Ipad2 or Samsung Tab

dannyt

well lots of comments thanks all.

Though some of the comments almost tempted me down the netbook route, I stepped back from that. If I really want to do some work I will just use my PC at my study desk or maybe get a powerfull laptop, for any real work I do like a big screen, old age so sight going :( and I also like a good keyboard.

If you love keyboards, you should really check out the Asus EEE Pad transformer. It has a docking station that turns it into a "netbook".

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004U78J1G

TF101-A1_tablet_S.jpg

Breaking the mold, an optional keyboard docking station designed especially for the Eee Pad Transformer transforms your tablet into PC mode with a 92% sized QWERTY keyboard with unique Android Function (Fn) keys for added convenience.

Featuring all of the connectivity you'd expect in your notebook, the Eee Pad Transformer comes complete with 2 USB 2.0 ports, a headphone audio jack and a 4-in-1 card reader when used with the optional docking station. Also to keep you unplugged longer without interruption, the optional keyboard docking station adds an additional 6.5 hours of battery life, allowing the Eee Pad Transformer to last up to an astounding 16 hours.2

As I mentioned before with Android, I would check with the vendor to see how long they will support the OS and tablet with updates. Motorola is coming out with the Xoom 2 soon. Updates for the Xoom might be dead after that...

-Brian

If you're still leaning toward the iPad route, my brother has a leather case for his which wraps around and has a Bluetooth keyboard in it. Pretty neat, lets you prop the iPad up at an angle and type. No where near the responsiveness of a physical keyboard on a laptop, but still useful.

Well what can I say.

I am posting this from my new ..... Wait for it

Ipad2

Yes, at the weekend I went into a shop and help both a Zoom and an IPad in my hands at the same time and played with them and the IPad won for me. Mind you all Sunday, I wanted to throw it in the bin. I was updating to IOS5 and it failed so went into recovery, then nothing I could be would get it working again. I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it, tried a laptop and a PC. On Monday morning somebody at work had a go and it worked first time. I did not know if I was really please or really pissed off.

Anyway, I have had working a couple of days now and really like it, Lava looks great on the IPBoard app

Cheers all

Danny

• Like 2

Glad to hear to found the right solution for you. It really comes down to what device does what you want to do and does it well. It really does not matter which one has the most RAM, CPUs, ports, etc. If it does not do it's job well (web browsing, email, apps, whatever) then all the 'spec's in the world do not matter. The best thing you did was to try them side by side. Same thing goes for smartphones.

Now, if you have kids, you will need to buy a second iPad. I cannot get mine away from them. At least the apps they love are teaching math, reading and basic physics. I have high hopes for the next generation of engineers who have had much better access to information than we did. Now to just get LabVIEW running on a tablet...

• Like 1