how to create a starting picture?

cls9215

Cis,

That is called a "Splashscreen" (which most users find irrating -(this is why I use them alot))

You do this in LabVIEW by first calling the 'Splash' routine first which then calls the main code.

I have an example of a splash screen vi on my www.labuseful.com website - enjoy!

hello everybody:

I have a question, that is how to create a starting picture(logo) before we open a labview

program? that is same as a logo when we open any application program.

2183[/snapback]

In a built application, the splash screen can simply be added as a second modal top level VI. Name this VI with the prefix "About " and this VI will also replace the LabVIEW Run-Time screen when the menu item About... is selected,

Cis,

That is called a "Splashscreen" (which most users find irrating -(this is why I use them alot))

You do this in LabVIEW by first calling the 'Splash' routine first which then calls the main code.

I have an example of a splash screen vi on my www.labuseful.com website - enjoy!

2185[/snapback]

Dear JackHamilton:

I have been tried your example program about "Splashscreen", but I find some problems

want to ask you, these problems list in following:

1. Whether this example program only running on LabVIEW 6.1? because my LabVIEW

version is 7.0, a vi(splashscreen_Rev2.vi) not found when I open this example program.

2. In your example program, why first to open main program then minimize the front panel

window? If I exchange this order, frist open "splashscreen.vi" then to open main program,

whether can to finish a program that functions as same as your example program??

Thanks!! :yes:

In a built application, the splash screen can simply be added as a second modal top level VI. Name this VI with the prefix "About " and this VI will also replace the LabVIEW Run-Time screen when the menu item About... is selected,

2186[/snapback]

Can you elaborate on this a little bit more? I'm not following. Is this a hidden feature? Also, this isn't really a splash screen but an About screen right?
Can you elaborate on this a little bit more? I'm not following. Is this a hidden feature? Also, this isn't really a splash screen but an About screen right?

2187[/snapback]

It is a documented feature of the application builder. When a VI beginning with About is found in the internal library, this VI will popup when the About builtin menu is selected. It is often the case that the splah screen is the same as the About screen so if you want this About VI to be displayed at startup, include it as a Top Level VI (TLVI) in the build because all TLVIs are opened and run at startup.

If you want different screens for splash screen and About, include the splash VI as TLVI and About as Dynamic VI. The About VI must be idle to be displayed so it can't be part of the running hierarchy (it is run dynamically).

It has been suggested that the splashscreen loads the main application. It is not necessary since if both splashscreen and main VI are TLVIs, they'll load and run simultaneously at startup. If the splash screen is lightweight and opens quickly, it will also prevent the "loading..." screen to appear when the main application takes too long to load and open its FP.

It has been suggested that the splashscreen loads the main application. It is not necessary since if both splashscreen and main VI are TLVIs, they'll load and run simultaneously at startup. If the splash screen is lightweight and opens quickly, it will also prevent the "loading..." screen to appear when the main application takes too long to load and open its FP.

That's the way I always did it... load+open splashscreen, load main app dynamically, end splashscreen.

This is a much easier method. :thumbup:

Another question rises up there: how do you know when the splashscreen has to close? Is it just a timed loop, or do you have any sync (occurence or something else)?

That's the way I always did it... load+open splashscreen, load main app dynamically, end splashscreen.

This is a much easier method. :thumbup:

Another question rises up there: how do you know when the splashscreen has to close? Is it just a timed loop, or do you have any sync (occurence or something else)?

2197[/snapback]

The simplest implemetation of a splashscreen is to put it as a TLVI in the build app. It is not necessary for it to load the main application. For beginners they don't have to go in the details of opening VI references and the unavoidable FAQ of path changes in executables ;)

However I agree that loading the main application is a more flexible solution to control how your application loads and runs.

*Edited for tags