Can labview and python app talk to each other?

I have a labview code to control instruments (camera, lights, etc), and am learning to use Panda3D (programming in python) to build a simple 3D game/animation. Usually at the end of the script there's run() function to start the rendering the 3D scene. I can execute the .py with the "system exec.vi", but how to bridge a communication between the two? Basically what I want is to synchronize certain events inside the two programs, just like what LV does with queue/notifier.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Can it do so with the python still running?

Well LabPython simply loads the Pythonxx.dll and instantiates a session. As such it will work with Python still running. But it will not be able to communicate with anything in the Python process automatically, as each Python sessions is in fact a separate Python environment. If you need to communicate between a Python session and a session created through LabPython, you have to setup explicit inter-application communication, especially since LabPython runs in the LabVIEW process, while Python runs in its own process, so process memory protection applies fully here.