Multiple EXE instances and file association

The newly found ini settings

allowmultipleinstances=True

allows to run multiple instances of LabVIEW or Run-Time executable.

This has a side effect when the application is associated to a file extension (a pet topic of mine).

Without this setting, when a file extension is associated to a LabVIEW application, one could open the file within the application by reading the command line. However, double-clicking on a file didn't have effect when the application was already running. A second application was needed to have the same effect (see link above).

With this setting, now one can easily open one instance of the application each time an associated file is clicked on. :!: :thumbup:.

However, it is often desirable (and memory efficient) that all files being opened in the same application space. In this case the application can be set to detect a TCP Server when an instance is launched. If the TCP Server doesn't exist, the application starts normally, opens the file on the command line and starts the TCP Server. However, if the TCP Server does respond (an instance is previously running) then the file on the command line can be sent to the running instance via TCP and opened in the first instance (the second instance then quits).

That does have the advange of

0) handling files without the need of a second application

1) (yet to test) the user can select multiple files in the explorer and open them simultaneously. Using a second launching application, this one needed to be multiple instanciated for this to work. It was not possible with a LabVIEW launching application, hence the use of a vbscript in the above link.

At last a satifying full G solution! I'll set an example soon.

A quick search for that string on my LV 7.x installation (w2k) shows that it is inside labview.exe

PJM

2389[/snapback]

Oh you sneaky devil you. How about that.... A simple search inside of the LabVIEW.EXE reveals a whole bunch of ini settings. :book: Wow, who would have thought. ;)

"Nudge nudge, wink wink... You know what I mean, you know what I mean?" Sorry for the Monty Python reference.