PCI no longer working with 2011 SP1

We are looking at changing to Labview 2011 SP1. I thought I would spend a little time today trying it out, but noticed that there appears to be a problem with using the VISA calls to talk to the PCI bus.

The version I am currently using is 2009 SP1. It uses VISA 4.6.2 The 2011 SP1 uses 5.1.1. it also installed NI-PXI Platform Services 2.6.2.

Installing 2011 breaks my 2009 installs. If I roll back VISA, and others, I can get my 2009 to run again, but 2011 will still not run. I have used the wizard to recreated the files. The 2011 sees the driver, it just appears it can't talk with it.

Interesting enough, the VISA calls were broke in 6.1 which forced me to upgrade to 8.

I don't want to waste too much time on debugging it but would be interested in knowing if anyone else has this same problem. I did a search on NI's site and could not find anything in their knowledge base.

Thanks

"....there appears to be a problem with using the VISA calls to talk to the PCI bus....."

"The 2011 sees the driver, it just appears it can't talk with it."

I may try and see if any of the calls work but in the end, it all needs to work or I can't use it.

Funny is the VISA PCI calls did not work in 6.1. So much for regression testing.

It appears even the VISA Open fails with 2011. Again, it is able to find the correct VISA Resource Name. It has an error code of "-107380724".

−1073807240 The value of some parameter (which parameter is not known) is invalid.

So it finds the resource name but when I make the call it is invalid. This is the only thing passed to the VISA Open fuction.

Interesting enough, I am able to use VISA Open and VISA Memory Allocation Functions for the shared memory in 2011.

I never installed 2011 without SP1, nor did I try any of the 2010 versions. The last known working version was 9.1.

Edited by JoeQ

Using a clean install of 2009, VISA 4.6.2, 5.0.2 & 5.0.3 all seem to work. The bug appears to show up in 5.1.1. Running a trace the error is:

> 2. viOpen (0x0282A7B0, "PXI5::13::INSTR", 0, 0, 0x00000000)

> Process ID: 0x00000C4C Thread ID: 0x00000D10

> Start Time: 00:16:07.656 Call Duration 00:00:00.000

> Status: 0xBFFF0078 (VI_ERROR_INV_PARAMETER)

I have opened a case with NI and am trying to get them to run some tests using a PXI chassis and using the wizard to create a driver rather than using the PXI Platform Services. So far they have told me that opening a serial port works fine and that the older versions of VISA are not compatible with 2011. I have confirmed that opening a serial port on my test PC with 2011 works as well.

I assume very few companies are using custom hardware and the wizard with 2011. This is why the bug has not been reported. If they come up with a fix, I will post it here.

• 2 weeks later...

After several hours of trial and error, I have traced the problem down to two files that are part of the new NI-VISA. Swapping these with an older version of VISA solves it. I understand that the developers never got in contact with the tech support group, so I am not sure what it will take to get the bug fixed. In the mean time, at least I have a work around.

The VISA PXI calls worked if I installed only the PXI support from the new VISA and copied these two files over it but it turns out that MAX would crash. If I installed the full VISA, then copied just the two files, the Open again fails. I have narrowed it down to 5 files now that seem to effect it. I can do a full install of 5.1.1 and copy these 5 files from the 2009 SP1 and MAX, trace and PXI communications seem to work. I am also able to get EXE's built with 2011SP1 and 2009SP1 working just fine with the PXI. I am sure it causes some other problems but it does not appear to effect anything I am doing.

Next step is to uninstall everything and try it from a clean start, which I am in the process of doing as I post.

I have had a case open with NI for a few weeks. They are still playing with serial ports and I understand with great success!!

Looks like it works for the most part. So, if you stumble onto this thread because you have this same problem, you may want to try the following:

1) Install your older NI-VISA that worked. I am currently using what was supplied with Labview 2009 SP1.

2) Once you have verified you are able to talk with your hardware, you want to save the following files from your Windows installation directory:

SYSTEM32\NIPALU.DLL (mine is dated 1/10/2010 and is 307KB)

SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NIPALK.SYS (mine is dated 1/10/2010 and is 584 KB)

SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NIVIPCIK.SYS (75KB)

SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NIVIPCIKL.SYS (12KB)

SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NIVIPCIKW.SYS (12KB)

3) With the above files saved someplace safe, go ahead and install your 2011 SP1 including your full VISA 5.1.1. Verify you are no longer able to talk with your hardware.

4) Enter Task Manager and shutdown all the NI tasks. You can do this from services or even use Safe mode on boot. You just need to shut things down so you can copy the files in.

5) You may want to backup the above files from your new install. It just may save you time if this causes you some other problems. Keep in mind that after you manually copy the files, Labview thinks it still has the correct files. So uninstalling and reinstalling does not always work.

6) Replace the five newer files with the ones you saved. If Windows gives you an error that the files are in use, you did not shut down all the NI tasks..

7) Reboot the PC.

8) Take the time to post your results and if this change causes other problems!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...