Spawning processes - reentrant or *.vit?

Hello there,

I was wondering if there is any performance benefit in spawning new processes by using a *.vit as the source, rather than a reentrant vi? Is there any other reason why I would use one method over the other? They both seem to work the same.

Many thanks for any help,

Martin

In general reentrant VIs are faster to instantiate and equivalent performance in other ways. We instantiate template VIs by loading into another context which means your entire VI hierarchy is loaded into another context as each instance is created.

If you're using 2011, you can also consider using "async call by ref" instead of the run method to start separate processes like this.

From a message posted by Aristos Queue a month or so ago:

"Replicating VITs was a practice that should have largely stopped in LV 8.0 unless you are scripting new VIs as part of an actual "create me a brand new VI in the editor" tool. There are some edge cases when you're actually scripting new controls, but most UIs don't use that approach because it only works in the full dev environment, not the runtime environment. So for UI work, stick with reentrant clones."