Editing a class palette

Quick question: Is there an easy way to create/edit stand-alone palettes? That is other than mucking about with my main IDE palette set?

What I'd really like to is from the project explorer, open a context menu for a class and be able to create a new palette. Similarly I'd like to be able to open a context menu on an existing palette and edit it. I find that nearly all of my classes don't have a default palette set because its such a nuisance to create/maintain them.

Bonus points of a class palette editor automatically includes parent class palettes as a sub-palette.

Is there a tool that makes this easy? If not I might head over to the idea exchange to make a suggestion...

That would indeed be a nice thing. I have a little utility in the Code repository that will take a class or library and create palette files based on the virtual folder structure. For classes it will also walk back up the hierarchy, creating palette files for each parent class. The palette files are added to the class or library and the 'root' palette file is set as the default palette. There is also an option to do this for every class or file in a directory tree. In principle such a tool can be integrated into the project window, but you need to know details of the project provider API. There is a group on ni.com that one can apply to join to get this information I believe.

• Like 1

Neat. Those are both very interesting, which proves to me it should be doable.

I was looking for a UI that allows me to edit the palette and manually curate the VIs rather than having an auto-created one. Basically I'd like to have a GUI editor that doesn't involve me editing my actual IDE palette. Cheers though, either ought to be a good tool in the interim.