Did a complete LabVIEW uninstall/reinstall; now VI Package Manager fails to find any compatible Run-Time Engines.

I did a complete LabVIEW uninstall/reinstall and now VI Package Manager fails to recognize a compatible Run-Time Engine and won't launch.

I can't even run the uninstaller to try a fresh installation because apparently the uninstaller needs a copy of the Run-Time Engine present as well.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest using the system restore option on Windows to go back, but I'm pretty sure that the install process adds multiple restore steps, so that the older restore point would be gone.

You could try finding msiblast, which is a program used to remove NI software, but I wouldn't consider that safe. My primary suggestion would be to contact NI directly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I originally used NIUninstaller instead of MSIBlast. I'd rather not go through the hassle of a complete uninstall/reinstall because that's what I JUST did and it took 5 hours yesterday.

I'm concerned that if I ask NI about VI Package Manager, they'll bounce me over to JKI, and the reverse if I ask JKI about it.

Edited by Mike Le

You're spot on, Jeff. I was trying to run some other LabVIEW executables this morning and ran into the same problem. I'm reimaging the laptop and will try completely fresh installs of everything after. Painful but possibly necessary.

It depends on what your version of LabVIEW is - it's possible that VIPM uses a different RTE (which it installs itself), so if you installed LabVIEW, installed VIPM, then uninstalled LabVIEW it's possible that LabVIEW either blew away a VIPM dependancy (eg: RTE). So you could reinstall LabVIEW and then reinstall VIPM again - then all should be well.

Or reimage :)

In order to get VIPM running again, you just need to install the LabVIEW 2011 run-time engine. You can get info about this here:

http://support.jki.net/entries/20959253-LabVIEW-RunTime-Engine-for-VIPM

If that doesn't help. Send an email to support@jki.net and JKI will open a one-on-one support ticket where we can get this resolved.

This issue is on our (JKI's) radar for VIPM 2013 and will be fixed in a way where you won't have this problem anymore.

In regards to the other comment: "I'm concerned that if I ask NI about VI Package Manager, they'll bounce me over to JKI, and the reverse if I ask JKI about it." - I want to say that both JKI and NI take customer support and problem solving very seriously and we will always do whatever we can to get problems like this resolved. So don't be afraid to ask.  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

If your RTE is hosed, you can try doing a repair install of just the RTE as a first step (I know you already reimaged, but this is for future reference). Were you installing fresh or did you have the RTE already installed on the system?

As Michael said, both JKI and NI try to be as helpful as possible with troubleshooting and problem resolution!