Controlling Windows Updates from LV

Hi,

I'm looking for a method to control the scheduling of automatic download and installation of Windows Updates such that they do not occur until enabled.

I would like to turn the "automatic updates" feature on (in Win2K & WinXP) and leave it on, but have the ability to hold off the automatic DL and install until the LV program decides it is safe to do so. It would be acceptable, and desirable, to have the "Your updates are ready to install" balloon pop up and be confirmed by the operator.

My best lead at this point is that the scheduling appears to be done by registry entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update, but I'm not sure it's as obvious as it first appears.

So...I wondering if anyone has tried this, has sample code, or a better method ?

For that matter, it would great to do the same for virus scanners, defragmenters, etc. ...or am I dreaming?

-John

The Registry Key seems to be the way to go.  See the following Microsoft article for details: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328010/EN-US/

Regards,

Khalid Ansari

3646[/snapback]

Yes, that article is actually what got me started down this path, but what it does not mention is what agent (.exe?) is used to act on the entries when a change is made.

I know that when the registry is changed by changing options in Control Panel/System/Automatic Updates, the "wuauclt" process is started to monitor and control the updates. But I was not able to start that process manually. I also know that changing the entries without that process running produces no change.

I am hoping that changing entries that control scheduling with the "wuauclt" process running will accomplish the delay I'm looking for.