CLA Prep Review

I took a short look at your solution. While I can't determine if you have included all requirement tags (something you should definitely attempt to do as much as possible) the overall architecture looks certainly good enough. There is always something to say about a cleaner and more structured architecture but considering the time constrains of the CLA exam, you have to compromise and faster is certainly better than neat and clean in this particular case, although without some architecture you would fail too.

Did you do all this in 4 hours?? If so, I think you are set for the CLA exam. If you needed significantly more time than 4 hours you may want to exercise some of the subsystem template implementations a little more to get them in as short a time as possible. As a pointer you may decide to actually do even less coding (not much more than the actual case and loop structures) and put a bit more prosa text in there instead. It may not seem to make a big difference but it's usually faster to write a short text than finding the correct node in the palettes and placing it on the diagram and wiring it up, often having to write some kind of comment anyhow too.

And if you are familiar with Quick Drop set aside two minutes at the start of the exam to configure it to your likes. Also take the time to recreate your personal configuration as much as possible on a new LabVIEW install, exercise where the settings are beforehand so you don't loose time when configuring your machine on which you do the exam. An unfamiliar palette view, or auto-wiring or auto-tool setting can be a major pain in the ass when you are scrambling for time to get your CLA done, although it may seem only fractions of seconds you will loose each time.

• Like 1

Rolf, 

Thanks for looking at it. I did do the whole posted solution in 4 hours, and I did not get all the tags in. I actually did what you (and others) suggested and focused on getting the core framework and modules done quickly. I took the test last week and feel very confident about it. I was done with my 'core' stuff in under two hours and had about half an hour left after I put my last requirement tag on. I spent the last 30 minutes cleaning up my code a bit, making my comments a little clearer and actually implementing a little code. Overall, I felt pretty satisfied.

-Ian

• 4 months later...

Also take the time to recreate your personal configuration as much as possible on a new LabVIEW install, exercise where the settings are beforehand so you don't loose time when configuring your machine on which you do the exam.

I'm not sure if this is still permitted, but when I took the exam I was allowed to bring a copy of my LabVIEW INI file. Definitely recommend asking your proctor if this would be all right.

I'm not sure if this is still permitted, but when I took the exam I was allowed to bring a copy of my LabVIEW INI file. Definitely recommend asking your proctor if this would be all right.

I was allowed a few minutes before the exam to sit at the machine in setup the preferences to my likings. Very important as I still use many settings as they were around LabVIEW 5.1 as default and hating certain things like auto wire routing and auto tool selection.  :D