Hi everyone!

I'd really appreciate your help with this. I'm trying to write a program that will find all the VIs that are open in the LabVIEW development environment (even if they are different application instances) and analyze their front panels and generate a report about them. I wrote a quick VI just to get started which will tell you the number of controls on the front panels of all open VIs. The problem is that it doesn't work when I build it into an executable. When I run the executable, instead of finding all the VIs open in the development environment, it only finds itself. I attached the code I wrote so far. Could anyone tell me what I how I could make this work from an executable? Thanks!

--Hope

VI Logger.zip

How can I know the address and port number to connect to? Is there a standard one for the development environment or is does it have to be configured specifically? Because ideally, I'd like to be able to just run this on any computer and have it work without going in and configuring something on each computer.

The address is whatever IP address the computer has on which the IDE runs, or localhost if it is on the same computer. The port number is configurable in the LabVIEW Options, and you need to enable the TCP/IP interface to VI Server in there too, in order for it to work (but if you ever have used VIPM to install some software package into LabVIEW, that is probably already enabled).

Thanks, it worked when I did that (and also changed out the "All VIs In Memory" property node for the "Exported VIs In Memory" one because I guess the former isn't supported for remote). I guess that does mean I'll have to make sure all the computers I run it on have the same port configured in their LabVIEW Options, but I guess that's not too bad. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, prettypwnie said:

Thanks, it worked when I did that (and also changed out the "All VIs In Memory" property node for the "Exported VIs In Memory" one because I guess the former isn't supported for remote). I guess that does mean I'll have to make sure all the computers I run it on have the same port configured in their LabVIEW Options, but I guess that's not too bad. Thanks for your help!

you can also use a service name with a port of 0. That way the actual port won't have to be fixed just the name.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/glang/open_application_reference/
("port  number or service name" section)

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361M-01/lvdialog/vi_server_config_options/
("port", "service name" sections)