customize existing VI icon programmatically

Hi,

We're about to re-structure our VI source tree and therefore I'm looking for a way to automatically edit/change the VI icons as well. To do so, I want to open all VI's and change the icon text as well as add a new icon layer (on top) and then save this VI (perhaps also rename it, move it to another location ...) The only problem I have - I can (with help of Icon editor API) open the existing VI, get the icon data (separate entries for text, different layers, ...) and adjust them to new informations/texts/icon layers. But it is not possible to write back these changes to existing VI, I can only create a new VI with this data. Or I can overwrite any old icon settings by passing a new icon, loosing all different icon layers and separate texts.

Is there any way to edit an existing VI Icon without loosing the existing icon texts/layers? I even tried to open the original icon editor via script and do the edits with "SendInput" remote control of it's user interface. But didn't find a way to open the icon editor on first hand :-(

So any ideas highly appreciated!

Peter

If you put all the VI's into a library (.lvlib), you can edit the library icon and it will be applied to all the files in the library as a layer.  Most people use this to create a common "top banner" for their VI set.  The lvlib icon is overlaid as a layer on the individual VI's icons without disturbing changing or disturbing the other layers.  I assume that what you are trying to do is add some icon feature to a set of VI's that identifies them as being part of a set.

Hi,

thanx for all your suggestions, I will check them. BTW, I already knew of "LabVIEW Icon API" and used it to create new VI's with proper icons, but I was not able to edit existing ones, so that the existing layer structure is preserved. I only want to add a top-most layer, to keep the old ones still available as backup...

But I will check again, also the OpenGDS.

To clarify my approach, I've added a sample vi (LV2017). I want to open an existing VI, add a user layer and text, and save them a copy of the VI.

Peter

_Test_VI_Icon.vi

Edited by peterp
Added sample code
28 minutes ago, peterp said:

I already knew of "LabVIEW Icon API" and used it to create new VI's with proper icons, but I was not able to edit existing ones, so that the existing layer structure is preserved. I only want to add a top-most layer, to keep the old ones still available as backup...

Edit VI Icon.png