Learning LabVIEW Community Edition And Raspberry Pi: Alarm Clock Example

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, I just watched NI's getting started with Raspberry Pi videos. Do you have to use an ethernet connection to the RPi, or can you deploy your code over wifi? Do you use the case that comes with the Canakit, or do you have to take off the case in order to use the connectors with the breakout board? Thank you, looks like a lot of fun!

12 hours ago, gregoryj said:

Ok great. My router is far away from my desk, so I'd like to use wifi after the initial set up. Just ordered the raspberry pi and excited to play around with it!

Well, you could plug your computer directly into the raspi port, no router needed. Or purchase a cheap usb to ethernet dongle and add an extra port to your PC. This is what I do for my cRIO work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_AJJUEb7TVD7CS

Haha yes, of course. I have had luck using the wlan IP address as well as "raspberrypi.local" to run code on the device. I also installed TeamViewer on the raspberry pi which makes it a lot more convenient to control the device if you don't have extra monitors and keyboards lying around. 

By the way Chris, I really enjoyed the alarm clock example and how easy it is to interact with those GPIO pins. I made some schematics (tried to submit on Bitbucket as well) to show the connections, which might be a little easier to follow than the real-life pictures.

RasPi_Schematics.zip

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, gregoryj said:

Do you use the case that comes with the Canakit, or do you have to take off the case in order to use the connectors with the breakout board? Thank you, looks like a lot of fun!

Hi @gregoryj

Sorry for taking forever to respond. I need to adjust my notification settings apparently.

I do use the case that comes with Canakit. I'm able to keep the raspberry pi in the case and even put the lid on because of the ribbon that attaches to the breakout board.  I got the ribbon and breakout board from Freenova. My full hardware setup is documented in the bitbucket readme at https://bit.ly/ChrisCilino_LabVIEWCommunityAndRP.

And yes... it is fun! Enjoy!