Compile VI for a specific target

Hello,

I wrote a VI ("ChangeScript.vi") to change programmatically the script of a "MathscriptNode" inserted in another VI ("MathScriptNode.vi").

Because this simple example is a part of a wider project, after the change of the script formula I need to recompile the VI ("MathScriptNode.vi").

I found the VI method "Compile" http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361R-01/lvscript/vi_compile058vi/ to do this action, but this method only compile for Windows target. 

How I can compile programmatically the VI for the target Linux_x64 (cRIO hw)?

The LabVIEW project (LabVIEW 2018) attached contains the example code.

Thank you,

Francesco

ChangeScriptVI.PNG

SimpleTest.zip

19 hours ago, Fra_Sabba said:

How I can compile programmatically the VI for the target Linux_x64 (cRIO hw)?

Anything under My Computer is compiled for the platform you are currently on. For your cRIO I think you need to have it as a target in the project first. Then you can deploy your VI to it.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361R-01/lvconcepts/adding_targets_to_project/

Not that I have ever done this 🤷‍♂️

In a Windows system I would like to open a VI, modify it and finally compile it (only this VI) for a different target, for example Linux x64 (cRIO hw).

This is my desire, but I don't found a right method to reach the goal.

When you a create a Build Apecification under a Target in a Project, LabVIEW on Windows OS compiles all the VIs added to the Build Spec for the specific target. So LabVIEW can cross-compile a VI.

I'm wondering if the cross-compile functionality is provided with some function/method exposed.

22 hours ago, Fra_Sabba said:

In a Windows system I would like to open a VI, modify it and finally compile it (only this VI) for a different target, for example Linux x64 (cRIO hw).

I'm wondering if the cross-compile functionality is provided with some function/method exposed.

Move the VI to a cRIO target in your project (there is probably a way to do that with scripting somehow). The compiler will take care of the rest.

So LabVIEW can cross-compile a VI.

Yes, you can compile VIs for very specific targets like cRIO because it is a well defined environment. However, it is not possible to cross-compile applications between Windows, Linux and MacOS if that is what you want: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P81NSAS