Setting up TS environment correctly (developing and deployed)

SayMaster

Hi Guys,

I am searching for "best practice" for setting up my whole environment.

We use git to store our source and by now I distribute my source (LabVIEW/Matlab/Teststand) via Feeds to my Teststations.

Is there a "clean" way to handly the environment settings, like Adapter, search paths and logfile paths?

I know about the environment file, but every developer have its own folder structure like I store my project under C:/git/projectname... and a college for example C:/projects/git/projectname

What I do right now for the Teststations itself:

i have all my settings/inis and so on in my feed --> this works as planned

But how can I handle my developing machines without !manually! add search directories to my git checkouts?

I was hoping a working space would handle at least directories, but it doesnt...

Some ideas, am I missing something?

thanks in advance

Hi SayMaster,

What seems to work for us is handling the Custom directories for the environment. This allows us to keep the .tsenv file and any dependencies of the environment in .git so we can have multiple environments setup each having its own search directories, adapters etc. The search directories, adapters etc are stored in the Cfg folder so you can have one for each environment that you set up.  It has the benefit that you could also modify and prepare your deployment machines from your development environment, just by starting TS in the corresponding environment. 

Hope this helps!
image.png.a50717e655ccb3b9f04039cde59d9f94.png

• Like 2

Thanks for your respond.

That's kinda similar to my idea right now.

What bothered me was that search directories are hardcoded paths... so if I start the .tsw file it would not find the sequences, if one developer would work in C:/git/projectname and the other would use another path...

I just found out that there is a SearchDir called "Current Workspace Dir" but the default setting is that it wont search sub directories. But I think by changing this setting and starting Teststand with a .tenv for each of my project could resolve all of my "problems" I have right now :)

Have to test it in the next days :)

What bothered me was that search directories are hardcoded paths... so if I start the .tsw file it would not find the sequences, if one developer would work in C:/git/projectname and the other would use another path...

Hardcoded paths the search directories may be, but each .tsenv file can have its own set of search directories and then each developer can have their own environment. Then if the sequences are set to use a relative path, problems should be gone. 

• Like 2

Works great :)

my .bat will start Teststand with my own .tenv with a defined workspace under which the whole source is stored, so I dont have to chnage anything else. only had to check the "subdir" for "current workspace directory".

I am happy with this solutions, seems clean and straight forward