dynamic vi calls

i need to come up with a plug-in architecture for a bunch of compiled instrument drivers and program modules. My problem is that these drivers/modules all use a bunch of 'shared code' which often changes. Therefore I need to make sure that none of the separate plug-in exe's have vis with the same name but different back pannels (otherwise vi server gets all mixed up).

As far as i know, making dlls does _NOT_ fix the problem (ie they also require vi server).

The only other solution i know of is to save all the vis for a given module/driver to their own llb, renaming them all with specific pre- /suffixes. I cannot find a way to do this programatically and really don't care to do it all manually for each vi.

Suggestions?

Michael

The only other solution i know of is to save all the vis for a given module/driver to their own llb, renaming them all with specific pre- /suffixes. I cannot find a way to do this programatically and really don't care to do it all manually for each vi.

Suggestions?

Michael

5841[/snapback]

Hi Michael,

There is a tool on the OpenG website that renames a bunch of VI's.

Here is a version written by David Moore.

Do the following:

1 Place the rename.llb in your LabVIEW/Projects folder. This way the "rename" function will appear in your Tools menubar. You might have to restart LabVIEW to make it appear..

2 Open the top-level VI (this is very important!)

2 Start the "Rename Main" from the Tools menu, and give it the suffix or prefix you want to rename the project with, and let it rip.

Be sure to try it out on a small dummy project first!

Backup a copy of the project before you try it as well, just in case the renaming screws up all the links.

Another approach is to open the top-level VI and

Save with Options>Development Distribution

This will save all the VI's used in a separate location, and then you can build your plug-in from there.. (I am not exactly sure I understood what you are trying to do).

Enjoy!

Neville.

Download File:post-2680-1124988945.llb

Thanks that is exactly what i was looking for!

just for clarification: i have a large program that dynamically loads multiple modules. since these modules might have been compiled at different times with different versions of the same vis, conflicts could occur in LV's memory management. therefore i need to make sure that each vi that is loaded has a unique name.

thanks again,

michael