State Diagram Toolkit Question

This is probably an easy one. But I'm not sure if I'm missing something. :(

One of the tools our company purchased recently was the State Diagram Toolkit. For the type of programing we've been doing, this a nice, simple tool that I've found very useful.

On most of my applications, I end up adding a "Wait" or "Wait Until Next Multiple" in my main loop. Usually just 10ms or so.

I'm doing this with the intention of freeing up a little CPU time when operations aren't time critical. But being fairly new to the whole LabView environment, I'm concerned I may be committing a faux pas or be guilty of employing bad technique. (No point in developing bad habits if I can avoid it)

There are some "States" in my current project where I'd like the code to process as quickly as possible. (Re-sizing and saving images) But I notice poor front panel performance (lagging mouse and keyboard etc.) when there is no "Wait" function in my main loop.

My question is; Am I asking for trouble by doing this? Is there a better way?

Thanks.

This is probably an easy one.  But I'm not sure if I'm missing something.  :(

One of the tools our company purchased recently was the State Diagram Toolkit.  For the type of programing we've been doing, this a nice, simple tool that I've found very useful.

On most of my applications, I end up adding a "Wait" or "Wait Until Next Multiple" in my main loop.  Usually just 10ms or so. 

I'm doing this with the intention of freeing up a little CPU time when operations aren't time critical.  But being fairly new to the whole LabView environment, I'm concerned I may be committing a faux pas or be guilty of employing bad technique.  (No point in developing bad habits if I can avoid it)

There are some "States" in my current project where I'd like the code to process as quickly as possible.  (Re-sizing and saving images)  But I notice poor front panel performance (lagging mouse and keyboard etc.) when there is no "Wait" function in my main loop.

My question is; Am I asking for trouble by doing this?  Is there a better way?

Thanks.

6009[/snapback]

The wait function will normally happen in parallel with the rest of the code, so if you have something that takes more than the 10ms, there won't be a problem, and if it takes less than 10ms, it'll free up some time for the rest of the system to do its thing. Putting a wait in the main loop is generally a good idea.

There are some "States" in my current project where I'd like the code to process as quickly as possible.  (Re-sizing and saving images)  But I notice poor front panel performance (lagging mouse and keyboard etc.) when there is no "Wait" function in my main loop.

Thanks.

6009[/snapback]

One of the things I do when I want certain cases to run as fast as possible is put the input to the Wait primitive inside a case structure and send a 0 to the input base on the incoming state.

post-584-1126030478.png?width=400

Thanks.

6009[/snapback]

My customer's look at me strange when I tell them: "I improved the performance of the software by adding a delay". This technique is perfectly fine.