The old 'wrong version of a subVI' problem

AutoMeasure

Hi, wireheads. I'm new to this forum, and I'm happy to have heard about it and to start using it.

I'm looking forward to LV8's arrival. I've been hearing about the project structure and related VI name issues. Is the following old problem addressed in LV8??? When you're not in the lab, someone opens your many-layered Labview program while another Labview program is in memory. The two programs share a common subVI, but the other program's subVI is an older version that works differently although it has the same connector pane. The user makes a cosmetic change to your front panel and saves it, inadvertently also saving the path to the wrong version of the subVI. Later, you come in and build an EXE, not realizing that your code is compromised.

A more insidious form of this problem was when there are no other programs open, but the wrong-version subVI is in the Windows clipboard. When you open your program with a subVI of the same name, the path to the subVI is changed to the path of the one in the clipboard.

One learns to be excessively organized with version control, directories, naming VIs, emptying the clipboard, and opening LV programs.

Thanks.