Multiple LabVIEW Versions and TestStand on 1 PC

CRoebuck

Hi everyone

I wish to run LabVIEW 6.1 and 7.1 on the same machine, I also want to use TestStand 3.0 with my LabVIEW 7.1 vi's.

I want all my toolkits (Database, SDTK, Internet Developers) to be available to both versions of LabVIEW.

I have a clean machine and the CD's at the ready !

What order should I install things in to get what I want ?

I was thinking LV 6.1 >>> LV 7.1 >> Toolkits >> TestStand 3.0

Any better ideas or suggestions on how I can make this as painless as possible ?

Best Regard

Chris

I was thinking LV 6.1 >>> LV 7.1 >> Toolkits >> TestStand 3.0

Hi Chuck,

I haven't used TestStand so someone else will have to help with that. The problem with some of NI's toolkits is that the installer will only allow it to be installed once. This is a real pain, so if the toolkit doesn't allow multiple installations you will have to install to the earlier version and then manually copy to the newer. So your order will look like this:

LV 6.1 >> Toolkits(CD) >> Mass Compile >> LV 7.1 >> Toolkits(CD or manual copy) >> Mass Compile

I know for sure that the Internet Toolkit will only install once and that you will need to manually copy to install in the second time. Since you are starting out fresh you could install LV 6.1 and then make a copy of the LabVIEW 6.1 directory. Next install the toolkits you want to the original LV directory and then compare it against the copy of the virgin LabIVEW install. The difference would be the files to copy to the new LV install. Don't forget to mass compile, many of NI's toolkits are created in older versions of LV and are not recompiled for the newer versions.

If you don't have the ability to compare directories, then be sure to check these for the Internet Toolkit:

...\LabVIEW 6.1\vi.lib\addons\internet <=copy entire directory

...\LabVIEW 6.1\examples\internet <=copy entire directory

...\LabVIEW 6.1\help\internet.hlp

...\LabVIEW 6.1\help\internet.txt

...\LabVIEW 6.1\project\internet <=copy entire directory

...\LabVIEW 6.1\project\internet.txt

...\LabVIEW 6.1\www <=copy entire directory

And since you now have multiple version of LabVIEW you may want to try the DataAct Version Chooser for LabVIEW.

Good luck,

Brian