The Einstein Puzzle

m3nth

Alright if you haven't heard of Einstein's puzzle you can just look it up. There are plenty of sites telling what the problem is and how to solve it, such as this one:

http://www.mindspring.com/~mccarthys/puzzle1.htm

Who in their right mind would want to read the solution before trying to give a try and test their brain power though... even better, why not try it in LabVIEW!

Alright so attached is a LabVIEW version for you to burn some of your free time with if your screen resolution can handle it. This game isn't extraordinarily great but it is a little addicting until you get the right answer. It's a good puzzle at least.

And yes I know, their are a ton of improvements that could be made to the user interface but I just whipped this out as fast as I possibly could so I could play it as soon as it was barely functional. Maybe one day if I get around to it, I'll fix it up.

Instructions: Drag & drop baby.

Dragging a house will cause everything in the house to switch places.

Also, I didn't implement a way to clear out mistaken items (oh well, just restart).

Enjoy...

Download File:post-360-1131844672.llb

Nice Job!

I haven't seen this one in many ages.

The beauty of this puzzle is that it requires no guessing or permuting, it is 100% logic.

Now, can anyone write a program to solve it, (pure G of course) without brute force permutation?

I used to do puzzles like this all the time way back in grade school. Nice blast from the past. I think I even had a book of them once.

It would be very interesting to write a program to solve these. Step #1 would be to set up a standard grammar for them, although writing the language parser would be fun just by itself.

I remember I used to solve them by constructing matrices where there was one dimension for each parameter (color, cigarette brand, etc.). Then you can fill in rows/columns from the info in the problem...

Fist let me say that I solved this puzzle in about an hour. :D

Great program! Lots of fun.

Also, I didn't implement a way to clear out mistaken items (oh well, just restart)

You didn't need to impliment a way to clear mistake LV did it for you. Just right click and re-initialize to default it will clear the element you select. Although it doesn't work on the house color.