Peculiar behavior of read text from file.vi

Hi Folks:

Here is an interesting one. I was attempting to use the read text from file vi to skip a line in a text file, it didn't seem to work, so I wired up an indicator to its output as a diagnostic tool. When I did that it worked..

Took the indicator out, didn't work again. Wired the output of the read text from file vi to a seemingly pointless concatenate string gadget, works again.

It makes perfect sense that wiring or not wiring an input might affect how a vi performs, but its really counter-intuitive--- to the point of being a bug, I'd claim-- that a vi will behave differently depending on whether its outputs are wired.

See attached vi:

Download File:post-1144-1132158963.vi

Be curious to see what others think.

Ah well, serves me right for violating one of my firmest rules (never install a softare version ending in .0 if you've got an earlier version that ends in .x that works.) Anyway, a good excuse to use that neat new smilie that I haven't tried yet:

:throwpc:

Best Regards, Louis

(Edit-- replaced 'ouput are wired' with 'output is wired' to fix grammer.)

I see the same thing. This behaviour does not happen if 'Read Lines' is not checked...

Probably a bug caused by the "agressive optimization" added to LabVIEW 8 according to some marketing hype I remember to have heard of. I would rather not have an utterly optimized LabVIEW compiler but a reliable one instead.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 2 months later...

Perhaps this is tied into how labview handles memory. Something about not writing to unwired indicators in subvi's. Or perhaps I just dreamed this up. In any case, changing the output of other wired indicators is not acceptable.

Keeping my version 8.0 off primary development machine. Will probably wait for .x version before doing any serious application conversions.

Good luck