Parallel port output

Nicky

guys..recently im deal with my project that is related to using labview to control the ON/OFF of the LED by parallel port, but im totally no idea about how to create the VI about this...

sorry for my poor English.. :wacko:

Download OpenG Commander and install the PortIO package (oglib_portio). This will allow you to write to the parallel port.
sorry, after installed the commander software, it pops up this error window...i dont know wats the problem....

I don't think that you installed it -- you only extracted the ZIP archive. Try again, but preserve the folder structure when you unzip and then try running Install.vi again.

• 3 weeks later...
sorry..is there any function that able to measure the output voltage of the parallel port, on the inside Labview?because i need to measure the output voltage by juz only using the indicator as the voltage display

Yes, buy a DAQ card and install it in your computer ;-). Otherwise no, the parallel port is a digital interface with signals when going above 2.4 V meaning logic high and below 0.8V meaning logic low. There is no analog measurement built into the parallel port nor any other part in a normal PC. (This leaves out the temperature and CPU voltage level controls nowadays built into the power management of modern PCs but you couldn't use them for measuring arbitrary port signals anyhow).

Rolf Kalbermatter

Yes, buy a DAQ card and install it in your computer ;-). Otherwise no, the parallel port is a digital interface with signals when going above 2.4 V meaning logic high and below 0.8V meaning logic low. There is no analog measurement built into the parallel port nor any other part in a normal PC. (This leaves out the temperature and CPU voltage level controls nowadays built into the power management of modern PCs but you couldn't use them for measuring arbitrary port signals anyhow).

Rolf Kalbermatter

hmm...its quite hard for me to get the DAQ card becuz of my current location...

or is it possible to directly show all the voltages difference in parallel port, not measure it?

i got 1 VI that is get the power status of the pc, i want to get something like this which is related to parallel port ...i found out that this VI is using the Call Library Function

Download File:post-3661-1136352551.vi

or is it possible to directly show all the voltages difference in parallel port, not measure it?

i got 1 VI that is get the power status of the pc, i want to get something like this which is related to parallel port ...i found out that this VI is using the Call Library Function

No. There is absolutely and definitely no hardware in the parallel port circitry which would measure that voltage. And therefore no magic could allow Windows to provide a function to read this voltage. The power status is a specific analog circuitry present in all modern PC motherboards and supervising the internal power supply and Windows has a function to read this status since it wants to know when it should suspend operation before the battery is drained. But this circuitry has absolutely no connection to the parallel port.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Don't wanna be rude but c'mon! National Instruments ships anywhere, even Malaysia. Beside's that, there are dozens of other vendors. Your computer has USB? You can get a DAQ USB device now for less than a mouse. Call up Irene, she'll hook you up:

http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?showtopic=1659

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi my name is Luis i hope this may help you a little, if you don't want to buy the DAQ card you can use a Microcontroller PIC16f877A or PIC16F876A or just an ADC in the parallel port :lightbulb: .

:P If you decide to use the ADC it wpuld be cheaper just download the datasheet ADC804 and download an example circuit of how to conect somthing to the parallel port.

:laugh: If u use the PIC's just let me know and i'll put here the code and the diagram. The pic i said it's easy to find, and it has 6 to 8 channel of ADC so u can multiplex the information so labview can use it. This method only works if the frequency of the signal it's below of 20K, if u wish a faster way then buy the ADC and use the pic or just buy the DAQ car. :laugh:

by the way, can u please put a VI that just read/write to follow it like an example? :oops: