Minimizing the application installer size

I use app builder to build application installers that then get downloaded via the web.

The installer size has been steadily growing. With the exact same code I find the LV6.1 installer is 10 Mbyte, LV7.0 is 12.5 Mbyte, LV7.1 is 17.2 Mbyte, and LV8 would like to be 80 Mbyte. Using the "stripped" down version of the RTE it is 25 Mbyte.

If you are in Romania, downloading via a Dial-up line this is a serious problem. Even for slow broadband (256K) it takes a fair chunk of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can strip out the bits in the LV8 RTE that are not required to reduce the installer size? :(

Thanks, Bart

• 1 year later...

I hadn't been using the app builder much lately, so I only recently cam across this same situation. A small app that would only have been 10M or so in LV 7.x gets a 68MB installer in LV 8.2. I back-converted it to 8.0 and got the same result. Also, at least in 8.2, I wasn't able to find any "25MB" small RTE option that Bart mentioned.

Any other comments on this? Any way to reduce the installer size? Any explanation why the 8.x installer is so much bigger than 7.x?

Regards,

Dave

I think in principle you can use any installer building software, not only LabVIEW build in installer building software. There are alternatives such as the one that ships with Microsoft Visual Studio and open source Nullsoft. These other installer building softwares are far more flexible compared to labview installer building software. The problem using something else than NI application builder for building installers is that how to include LabVIEW runtime etc to the installation. I don't know answer to this question.