New user in need of help

Droopy

Hey, im a new user with LabVIEW and im really interested in the program. Me and some other guys are building a robot and LabVIEW was recommended to use for the Emulating process of the robot. I need some help on what i need to have in order for LabVIEW to really do the best it can do. What hardware and software do i need to get.

Thanks

Bryan

I sure am...can you help?

Have have been following this threads on chief delphi (they have some information with LV code example)?

LabVIEW, like any programming langages, can do everything that the user programs it to do. The added benefit is that it is usually a lot faster to develop application with it and that it has a lot of built in support for communicating with different type of hardware.

So what in particullar are you trying to simulate? Motors, encoders, picking up balls, shooting balls, getting data from the camera...?

In any case, there might be some code available for simulated some specific things, but you might have to wrote some as well.

PJM

btw, what team are you on?

Have have been following this threads on chief delphi (they have some information with LV code example)?

LabVIEW, like any programming langages, can do everything that the user programs it to do. The added benefit is that it is usually a lot faster to develop application with it and that it has a lot of built in support for communicating with different type of hardware.

So what in particullar are you trying to simulate? Motors, encoders, picking up balls, shooting balls, getting data from the camera...?

In any case, there might be some code available for simulated some specific things, but you might have to wrote some as well.

PJM

btw, what team are you on?

I am going to be using LabVIEW for various reasons. One of the main reasons im sure is getting data from the camera. Our robot will also be able to pick up balls and shoot them. Like i said, I am very new to this and if there is any need hardware to get for this, i would like your opinion on it. Now our team name, im not quite sure of, but if you look us up on the the first robotics site (usfirst.org) you can find us under Arcadia High School and NASA.

Thanks for your help, and any additional information you can give me would be great!

I am going to be using LabVIEW for various reasons. One of the main reasons im sure is getting data from the camera. Our robot will also be able to pick up balls and shoot them. Like i said, I am very new to this and if there is any need hardware to get for this, i would like your opinion on it. Now our team name, im not quite sure of, but if you look us up on the the first robotics site (usfirst.org) you can find us under Arcadia High School and NASA.

Thanks for your help, and any additional information you can give me would be great!

The best advise I can give you is to contact your local National Instrument sale rep in your area (a quick google search for arcadia high school seem to indicate you are located in LA, so the link is for the LA sale rep contact person). They are all technically savvy people that can help you selecting some hardware. You might even succeed in convincing them to give you a loner or two. ;)

For example, for the vision system there are Compact Vision System available (I have no idea whether this will interface with the camera that ship in the kit or whether the rules allow you to use this additional hardware). Another type or hardware (which could potentially replace the whole control system shipped in the kit) is the compact RIO. Note: these are NOT cheap items, and they require some good knowledge in LabVIEW programming. Also make sure to ask your local NI sale rep if the LabVIEW version you got allow you to target these system.

Hope it help

PJM

If you have a big budget the CompactRIO and Vision systems are a great way to go. If the $$$ are a little tighter you might want to look at:

1. The LabVIEW USB Camera option(s): Acquiring USB Images With LabVIEW

While you're there be sure to check Irene He's Vision Toolkit.

2. ebaY for used NI hardware. You don't find a lot of NI motion controllers (some), but you find a lot of inexpensive digital IO and older multifunction DAQ cards that might provide most, if not all, of the IO you need for pennies on the dollar.

Good luck and have fun!