Labview Realtime 8.0 Installer

wallyabcd

:headbang: Hi Fellows;

I just got done playing with Labview 8.0 and converting some current projects to it.

I was looking forward to using some of the great features like shared variables and

DMA transfer from fpga ... until I realized that I Labview 8.0 application builder doesn't

allow you to built standalone installer for RT targets.

This in itself to me is like a setback.

I have also not found any documentation on how to build a standalone RT executable

that can be launched from the host to download itself to the RT like in 7.1 when launched.

This last item is almost a neccesity for me during development, testing and even for application

distribution as we don't have to go to a customer's site to upgrade his applications. This one at

least should be possible...

Can anyone here please shed more light on this ?

I can't foresee installing full dev labview for the tester

Otherwise, one would have to write a custom utility ftp utility to do this which is also not

too elegant.

Walters

Hi Walters, we've been battling this same issue for a few days now. After some phone calls to NI, one of the application engineers told me that this option may have actually been removed from 8, except we don't know what has replaced it, if anything. There may be a workaround, which would be to make a separate VI that would launch the RT executable on the RT system but I haven't tried it out yet. Although this (Deploying and Launching a Real-Time Application) is for older versions of LabVIEW, the part on "Launching the executable manually from the host computer via VI Server" may work. I'll be trying that next.

I'll post more as I hear back from NI.

Sima

Thanks Sima;

They told me the same thing...

I do understand that for a distributed system, this capability may cause problems,

but for us, we want our instrument to have no personality until we run the

software on the desktop...

This is very convenient during development of embedded RT system.

Well, I tried to get Vi Server to download and launch a vi on the RT

system from the desktop but it didn't work right away and I haven't yet had time

to look at it again... This should be possible as it's probably what Ni does within the

development environment right now.

We'll see.

Walters

Hi Walters, we've been battling this same issue for a few days now. After some phone calls to NI, one of the application engineers told me that this option may have actually been removed from 8, except we don't know what has replaced it, if anything. There may be a workaround, which would be to make a separate VI that would launch the RT executable on the RT system but I haven't tried it out yet. Although this (Deploying and Launching a Real-Time Application) is for older versions of LabVIEW, the part on "Launching the executable manually from the host computer via VI Server" may work. I'll be trying that next.

I'll post more as I hear back from NI.

Sima

This is an issue that I reported to the Realtime PXI team about two weeks ago. I have written many applications that use the installer deploy the executable to a headless PXI system. The NI web site still has application links touting this as a great feature (launching target code from installer)

I have an open issue on it at NI. The applications people said that someone there (no name dropping but they know who they are) is working on it. My request has been taken and no status update(in two weeks) has been to me on NI's application team progress.

The work around has been to go back to LV 7.1!!! :blink::wacko: