Communicating with microcontroller using labview

Bushra

Hi,

My labview program is communicating with a microcontroller that is sending me a message "The angle is: 255 degrees". I am trying to get labview to take the value of the angle and turn the knob on my user interface to 255 degrees. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get labview to distinguish the number from the string of characters coming through the serial port and turn the knob to the appropriate position.

Thankyou.

Hi,

My labview program is communicating with a microcontroller that is sending me a message "The angle is: 255 degrees". I am trying to get labview to take the value of the angle and turn the knob on my user interface to 255 degrees. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get labview to distinguish the number from the string of characters coming through the serial port and turn the knob to the appropriate position.

Thankyou.

Attached a quick example using "Scan From String" in the String Function Palette:

Download File:post-3266-1140131641.vi

Joe (orko)

Attached a quick example using "Scan From String" in the String Function Palette:

Download File:post-3266-1140131641.vi

Joe (orko)

sometimes you get just crap over RS232, so i would put a case structure around the knob, connect the scan from string error out to the case selector and make it the no error case.

If you dont connect the error out at scan from string nodes, you will get these nasty error-popoups, if the scan fails, which you maybe don't want to see, because it's "normal" that sometimes the scan from string fails ...

sometimes you get just crap over RS232, so i would put a case structure around the knob, connect the scan from string error out to the case selector and make it the no error case.

If you dont connect the error out at scan from string nodes, you will get these nasty error-popoups, if the scan fails, which you maybe don't want to see, because it's "normal" that sometimes the scan from string fails ...

Thanks for the reminder, i2dx. Error handling is always the fun part :)

• 4 weeks later...