FP gauges and meters in LV8 when passed NaN

If this was buried in the LV8 release notes, I missed it.

Certain of the front panel indicators have had a change to their behavior with the release of LV8. It appears that, for FP objects which display a needle on an arc scale (e.g., the knob, the meter, the gauge), if the object has a value of NaN, the needle is not drawn.

I actually think this is a useful enhancement, since any other indication could be construed as misleading, though I'd be interested in hearing what others think about this behavioral change.

Now, why this change doesn't seem to have been applied to the FP objects with linear scales (e.g., the thermometer, the tank, the horizontal and vertical slides), I couldn't say. I think the same rationale could be used here for drawing/hiding the fill color or the 'thumb'.

Anybody know more about this?

Dave

I actually think this is a useful enhancement, since any other indication could be construed as misleading, though I'd be interested in hearing what others think about this behavioral change.

I think, it's an improvement. if there is NO value, you should see NO Value.

Now, why this change doesn't seem to have been applied to the FP objects with linear scales (e.g., the thermometer, the tank, the horizontal and vertical slides), I couldn't say. I think the same rationale could be used here for drawing/hiding the fill color or the 'thumb'.

I agree, that would be fine. But, how to make sure that there is a difference between "NaN" and the minimum Value? e.g. if the minimum Value of the scale is 0, you wire -10 to the e.g. tank, it will only show a very small line at the bottom of the tank, which can be quickly overseen, and does not differ much from an "empty tank"

if the minimum Value of the scale is 0, you wire -10 to the e.g. tank, it will only show a very small line at the bottom of the tank, which can be quickly overseen, and does not differ much from an "empty tank"

In that case, you may want to show the digital display or flashing a light when the value is out of range other than zero value.

Irene