Can't edit XControl when VI that's using it is open.

Everytime I want to edit my XControl I have to close the VI that contains the XControl. This is getting to be a real pain. When I try to edit any of the XControl VIs without closing the VI that contains it, I get a message that says

This VI cannot be changed to edit mode.

This VI is reserved in another application instance. Stop the VI from running in the other application instance before changing it to edit mode.

Well the application instance that contains the XControl isn't running and it's not in run mode. What am I missing?

George

Hi, George. I see what you mean in LV 8.0.1.

The way to edit the XControl while leaving all your VIs open is to

1) open the .xctl file. It opens in a Project Explorer type window. A little padlock icon appears at the top, and the window title bar says LOCKED.

2) right-click the .xctl icon and select 'Unlock Library for Editing'. On the VI you had placed the XControl on, the XControl is replaced by a broken-XControl icon.

3) edit any of the XControl's VIs, then save them.

4) right-click the .xctl icon again and select 'Apply Changes to Instances'. The XControl returns to locked mode, and your VI shows the XControl correctly again.

5) close the XControl explorer window.