Sub-VI and default value

Hi everybody,

I have 2 very basic questions about Labview.

1: I have created a VI with a "while loop" and I have a control and an indicator inside and it works. After that, I use this VI as a sub-VI in another program. And now, I doesn't work. I mean, I can't modify the control value dynamically. I think I should use some Local Variable, or something like that. Could you help me please ?

2:Is it possible to Reset a control (for exemple, a numeric control) to its Default Value, while the programming is running ?

Thanks for your answer

Hi foxone,

I'm pretty new to LabVIEW, so I hope what I'm saying here isn't completely wrong.

1. Could you please post your VI? Then I could have a look on it and it would be clearer for me to understand what exactly isn't working as it should be. :)

2. Yes, just right-click on your control and select "reinitialize with default value" (or something similar, I'm working here with the German version of LabVIEW).

Regards, Niko

Hi everybody,

I have 2 very basic questions about Labview.

1: I have created a VI with a "while loop" and I have a control and an indicator inside and it works. After that, I use this VI as a sub-VI in another program. And now, I doesn't work. I mean, I can't modify the control value dynamically. I think I should use some Local Variable, or something like that. Could you help me please ?

2:Is it possible to Reset a control (for exemple, a numeric control) to its Default Value, while the programming is running ?

Thanks for your answer

To modify a subvi dynamically you need to disconnect the input terminal from the connector pane.

post-584-1143301771.png?width=400

When a subvi is called all input values that are connected to the connector pane will be set to the incomming value or the default value.

Here is a quick example.

post-584-1143302326.png?width=400

• 1 month later...

mballa makes a good point about controls with no connection on the connector pane. I often make a control with no connection in subVI GUIs where the subVI gets called multiple times, and on the 2nd and following calls, I want the control to start out with the value that the user last left it with.

Also, you probably want to modify the VI properties of your subVI. Hit ctrl-I, select Appearance, and check "show front panel when called" and "close afterwards if originally closed".