APP_EXIT on shutdown of build app

I have LV code that calls two out-of-proc servers. In my deployed v7 and earlier apps, these out-of-proc servers were shut down when using the built app closed using the Quit LabVIEW function. After migrating to LV 8, developing a Project for the code, and migrating the BLD file, I was able to build the app; however, closing the app using the Quit LabVIEW function orphans the two out-of-proc servers. Invoking the APP_EXIT method(?) via the run-time menu File/Quit method or by clicking on the red X (upper right corner) not only shuts down my built app, but also the two out-of-proc servers. It seems that the current Quit LabVIEW function no longer implements APP_EXIT.

I've searched the documentation and this forum but can't find any particular information on implementing APP_EXIT programmatically. Any good ideas?

• 1 month later...

I too have experienced the same problem, where LabVIEW will remain in the taskbar, even though I've run the Quit LabVIEW function. I basically have to go to the Task Manager and kill the LabVIEW Process. So can anyone explain why this function doesn't seem to do it's task properly, or perhaps there is some other method where LabVIEW can be definitely shutdown and all its resources released.

I too have experienced the same problem, where LabVIEW will remain in the taskbar, even though I've run the Quit LabVIEW function. I basically have to go to the Task Manager and kill the LabVIEW Process. So can anyone explain why this function doesn't seem to do it's task properly, or perhaps there is some other method where LabVIEW can be definitely shutdown and all its resources released.

In my opinion, the quit labview primitive should not be used. The application should be design to terminate nicely. As an example, you can use VI server and open a reference to your VI, open its front panel when require, then close the front panel and close the reference when you want to terminate your application.

PJM

While I appreciate that this is the professional way of gracefully quitting LabVIEW, it seems to me that the Quit LabVIEW VI would act as a fail safe method of closing down ANY resources that you had forgotten to close down yourself and is so easy and convenient to use as the last task in your top level VI. It is just so annoying for the user to see LabVIEW hang in the taskbar and the only way to kill it is through the Task Manager.