LV 8.0 lag when trying to save VI

A customer reported that a VI we developed for them was crashing when they attempted to save changes they made to the front panel. When they sent me the VI, I was able to recreate the crash, however I noticed that it wasn't actually crashing, it was locking up on the order for 3-4 minutes. The VI in question has 32 graphs or charts on the front panel on different tabs. I reduced all the chart history lengths from the default 1024 points to 20 points and that seemed to reduce the lock up time somewhat.

The lock up occurs only when there is a change to the front panel, (i.e. right clicking a chart and changing one of its properties), and you go to save the change. It has never occured for saving a change to the block diagram.

Has anyone else experienced this yet?

Quintin

I have just had a related issue last week in v8.0.1, vi has 4 tabs that are mostly unpopulated. One tab has a waveform graph on it. No code on the BD yet, just prototyping the GUI right now.

When editing the line style and colors of the graph legends (7 of them) editing gets slower and slower- by the time I am on legend 5 I have to wait 10 seconds for my mouse clicks to register. CPU usage is very high via task manager, 60-100%. When I save the vi (just after editing the graph) I thought LV was crashing (gave it 2 minutes), task manager was pegged at 100% CPU and showed LV as not responding.

After reading your post I re-edited and saved and walked away. Came back about 10 minutes later and it appears that it saved and LV was alive. Any subsequent edits to anything other than the graph go fine and saves OK.

I have tried to replicate this on a blank vi with tabs and no tabs, it works properly and saves fast. Thus at this point I cannot determine what is 'unique' with my vi. At this point it is really quite simple with a handful of controls, indicators, and a custom control, 100K FP, 35K BD, 70K on disk. Hope this is not a harbinger of things to come with my first 8.0 project :unsure: .

Let us know if you find out anything on this, I will do the same.

Thanks for the info Quintin :thumbup:

Earler today I made my graph and some other associated indicators into a typedef control since I use the group in 3 different areas. No delays were experienced when editiing the graph attributes in the control editor.

I noticed the document refers to 7.1.1 and was observed almost a year ago. Must have got overlooked in time for v8 release.

-AK2DM