Wake-On-Lan Data Packet

Just found something possibly better.

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niepd_web_displ...source=external

The page includes a 7.1 example VI

So it looks like you need to send a TCP/IP string to the PC you want to wake of the following:

6 bytes of 0xFF

16 x the 6 bytes representing the PC's MAC address

ie:

0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF AA BB CC DD EE FF

where AA = MSB HEX of the PC's MAC address ... FF = LSB HEX of the PC's MAC address

Thanks for everyones help. I got it to work :thumbup: (using the NI example), yet I needed a separate program to return the MAC address of the remote computer. Ultimately I would like to have a VI in which I just give the network name and have if resolve the MAC address the finally send the magic datagram. Once finished I will post for anyone who wants it.

Thanks again!!!

Rog

Thanks for everyones help. I got it to work :thumbup: (using the NI example), yet I needed a separate program to return the MAC address of the remote computer. Ultimately I would like to have a VI in which I just give the network name and have if resolve the MAC address the finally send the magic datagram. Once finished I will post for anyone who wants it.

Thanks again!!!

Rog

This is something that is not absolutely possible. As long as the device is on the same subnet you could use ARP to actually get at the MAC address but MAC address resolution is not done over subnet borders. Some devices may support a specific TCP/IP protocol to get that information from them but as far as I know, is the TCP/IP network not designed to get at this information outside of the own subnet. Any router in the network able to pass the packet to the destination address or at least another router that should be able to reach the destination directly or indirectly will simply answer the ARP request with its own MAC address, and when the packet arrives route it further according to its own route tables, replacing its own MAC address with the next one in the chain.

Rolf Kalbermatter