Why use Data Log File Ref as GOOP class reference?

Hello fellow LVers.

I have been reading a lot about GOOP and it's many implementations from llb's to dqGOOP and Endevo's GOOP wizard that incorporates inheritance. Before I embrace GOOP with gusto I want to understand it completely so that I can implement OOP techniques intelligently and appropriately.

During my investigations I noticed that most GOOP techniques use a typedef enum control dropped into a data log file reference to form the class (object) reference.

I am just wondering why use a datalog file ref? What makes it the preferred option over any other reference type?

Beers and Cheers.

Phil :beer: :)

During my investigations I noticed that most GOOP techniques use a typedef enum control dropped into a data log file reference to form the class (object) reference.

I am just wondering why use a datalog file ref? What makes it the preferred option over any other reference type?

I guess the most important reason is that with this technique you can create unique references for each class. This way you won't be able to wire ClassA:Method1() to a reference returned by ClassB:Create().

Because we can :) The enum dropped into the datalog file ref gives us a really easy way of creating our own reference types. Why is that important? Each class you create should have a different reference type for a number of reasons, including breaking code when you try to use a method from one class on the reference of another. At the programming level, it separates between classes, which, at the lower level, in essence differentiates between the object repositories.

Beers and Cheers.

Phil :beer: :)

Please have a schooey or two for me (I know you'll comply :) )

Thanks for the responses. The data log file refnum makes sense as the best choice now.

The enum dropped into the datalog file ref gives us a really easy way of creating our own reference types.

I did a little investigation (3 mins worth) and the data log file refnum is the only one I found that requires/allows a type cast when created, much like a cluster or array container.

Please have a schooey or two for me (I know you'll comply :) )

Done and done! ... and done and done and done...