3D Curve Graph Blues

I have a problem where a VI refuses to save the "plot style" property of its 3D Curve Graph (the ActiveX 3D curve from the "graphs" palette.) That's in the CWGraph3D property editing window, tab "plots", subtab "style", menu "plot style.

It correctly saves the graph's other properties; the ones I've tried, at least.

The "plot style" property is correctly saved in other VIs I slapped together for a test.

But in the VI that matters (the one that has all of my overly complex UI code,) it just won't stick.

(All this while the plot template has all the properties I want my curve to have; I'd have thought that would be enough!)

I tried deleting the graph, saving the VI and then adding the graph back. Still won't stick.

Has anyone ever seen such a graph object misbehave so badly?

Has anyone got a trick to make my graph behave?

I hope so, because it's starting to feel like a nearly-bottomless time sink!!

I haven't had the problem myself, and this might be a stupid idea, but have you tried manually recompiling the VI? Try a shift+ctrl+click the run button - it seems (especially in LabVIEW 8) to have magical fix-it powers :D

I have never seen that either.

Can you copy the 3-d graph off to another VI and post a demo that demonstrates this?

Ben

I haven't had the problem myself, and this might be a stupid idea, but have you tried manually recompiling the VI? Try a shift+ctrl+click the run button - it seems (especially in LabVIEW 8) to have magical fix-it powers :D

Unfortunately, that still doesn't work. I'm completely baffled.

I have never seen that either.

Can you copy the 3-d graph off to another VI and post a demo that demonstrates this?

That's also part of my problem: I have failed to replicate it.

That made me think I might be able to do something by removing and the control and adding it back, but no dice.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't work. I'm completely baffled.

That's also part of my problem: I have failed to replicate it.

That made me think I might be able to do something by removing and the control and adding it back, but no dice.

All these things point actually in the same direction: You have somewhere in your COMPLEX UI VI some code that resets these properties. It might be a aproperty node that you added at some point, then resized the Event structure or some case, so that it fell of into invisible area. Or some execution logic in your state machine that causes this at initilisation. I've been there and done that too and almost pulled my hair over it before I realized

my own fault.

For invisible elements try to open the Error Window under Window->Show Error List and check the show warnings check box. Then go to the VI in question and hit de wanring triangle besides the run button. If it's about the executiona logic of your VI you probably will need to single step or at least work through your intialisation logic with breakpoints until you see where exactly the property gets reset.

Rolf Kalbermatter

All these things point actually in the same direction: You have somewhere in your COMPLEX UI VI some code that resets these properties. It might be a aproperty node that you added at some point, then resized the Event structure or some case, so that it fell of into invisible area. Or some execution logic in your state machine that causes this at initilisation.

I looked for such things. Note that when I remove the 3D Curve indicator entirely, my VI still runs correctly (it's a useful display, but it's just a display). That shows that there aren't any dangling references: there would be errors otherwise. That, and the property nodes for that control are rather inscrutable since it's ActiveX. I'd be much happier using it if it were a normal labview graph!

(thanks for the warnings trick; I found a couple weird things that way. Not stuff that affected this problem, though.)

I'm using the 3D curve graph pretty much in its simplest possible form:

post-3022-1152545622.png?width=400

(if I right-click on the terminal on the BD, there is no find menu, just "find control". There really is nothing else than that little section of the BD that uses the indicator.)

::sigh::