crelf passes another milestone!

crelf

post-181-1154436413.png?width=400

Contrary to popular belief, I have not sold my soul to NI...

...yet ;)

Yes, "The devil is in the details." (Ross Perot ?)

So how am I supposed to reply to that?

Well since the topic is passing milestones let me point out another milestone.

BEER*

Dennis Knutson has now posted more than 8000 replies to the NI-Developer Exchange (Yes, I know the NI-Developer Exchange is evil).

WE have been posting some acks of his effort to help LV in this thread.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...2&jump=true

But I am not posting to advertise that thread but to share a story that Dennis posted some time ago.

I repeat it here without permision.

"

I've got my own VEE story. Several years ago, I was hired to develop some LabVIEW software by a company that will remain nameless (sort of). I was given a cubicle and a rack of test equipment. It got a little strange because right around the corner was the development team for VEE. Not a team developing in VEE but the team that wrote VEE (see what I mean about sort of nameless). Swapped some stories and a few methods of doing some tests. At that time, VEE was not compiled and it took at least an order of magnitude longer to do some analysis routines in VEE. I was also approached and asked if I would like to switch from being a LabVIEW Alliance member to doing VEE programming. Doing a little market analysis, I determined that I would probably starve because of the lack of VEE users. I understand that VEE has since improved it's execution speed but it's market share is far behind LabVIEW. I've seen some figures comparing how long it takes to develop a LabVIEW program for GPIB instrument control versus one in VEE. One in particular seemed to be biased as the study was financed by Agilent but the end result seemed to indicate that an experienced programmer of either would take roughly the same amount of time. The problem is, there are many applications that VEE would take much longer or just be impossible to do. It does not have nearly the number of add-ons that LabVIEW does (try running VEE on a PDA or a real-time system or doing vision). It has hardly any native instrument drivers (they mostly use IVI or plug&play DLLs). Third party DAQ manufacturers will often have a LabVIEW library written and seldom one for VEE. These are the important factors for me and I would guess for the majority of users.

"

The original can be found here (see reply #9).

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...=146961#M146961

Ben

BEER* This is an invocation of Godwin^-1 Law to counteract the effect of mentioning the NI-Dev Exchange ;)

BEER*

BEER* This is an invocation of Godwin^-1 Law to counteract the effect of mentioning the NI-Dev Exchange ;)

For a moment I thought the (*) referred to the complex conjugate of BEER.

Should a complex representation of beer exist, the concept of "imaginary beer" worries me....

booh Im[ :beer: ], hooray Re[ :beer: ]

For a moment I thought the (*) referred to the complex conjugate of BEER.

Should a complex representation of beer exist, the concept of "imaginary beer" worries me....

booh Im[ :beer: ], hooray Re[ :beer: ]

Well...

I'm sure the concept of "imaginary beer" will conjure up various images in the minds of many on this forum! And among those, I'm sure many will enjoy a fine, complex brews at least from time to time!

One of my favourite "complex" beers used to be something called "Alimony Ale". It claimed itself as "The Worlds Most Bitterest Brew". I say used to be because I haven't seen it in years. Used to get it in CT when I lived there, but haven't ever seen it here in MD. Any well hopped beer (IPA's especially) are tops in my set of preferences!

BTW, I luckily have no experience with the concept of "Alimony" first hand, and hope I never have to!

Among imaginary beers, near bears probably shouldn't be considered imaginary, since they are more of a "null" set in my opinion. Crelf might say that Fosters served in Australia fits the imaginary moniker. Personally, I would nominate something like "Pabst Blue Ribbon" or "Milwaukee's Best" for that catagory.

Cheers! :beer: :beer: :beer:

-Pete Liiva