File Dialog Express VI

Hello Again LabVIEW Advanced Virtual Architects!

LabVIEW 8 has a new palette arrangement that includes the File Dialog Express VI available from the File I/O>>Advanced File Functions palette. The File Dialog function (primitive) is no longer available on the default palettes. I have some questions:

1. Has everyone used the new File Dialog Express VI in your LV 8 applications? How do you like it?

2. Do you prefer large or small icon view for your File Dialog Express VI? Why?

3. Are any of you deliberately using the File Dialog function? Have you added it back onto your palette? Where? and Why?

4. Among all the Express VIs, which is your favorite?

Thanks!

Peter Blume

I don't use express VI's and I admit I was very dissapointed to see the file dialog function dissapear only to be replaced by an express VI. Perhaps more annoying than this is the fact that they added a new feature that is only available via a configuration page. I'm talking about the multi-select.

post-2-1156833806.png?width=400

So you think that if you break the express vi you will get the primitive with the multi-select as a wired input? Nope. You STILL have a property page. What's the solution? You end up creating your own wrapper that allows the wiring of the selection mode.

post-2-1156834219.png?width=400

Hello Again LabVIEW Advanced Virtual Architects!

LabVIEW 8 has a new palette arrangement that includes the File Dialog Express VI available from the File I/O>>Advanced File Functions palette. The File Dialog function (primitive) is no longer available on the default palettes. I have some questions:

1. Has everyone used the new File Dialog Express VI in your LV 8 applications? How do you like it?

2. Do you prefer large or small icon view for your File Dialog Express VI? Why?

3. Are any of you deliberately using the File Dialog function? Have you added it back onto your palette? Where? and Why?

4. Among all the Express VIs, which is your favorite?

Thanks!

Peter Blume

Hi Blume ,

You want to kown my favorite Express VI.......it is the Express Time_out in the time and dialog palette.Iuse it alot when controlling instruments.The error in and the error out is very usefull that is why I like it most.

Regards ,

ohiofudu.

I don't use express VI's and I admit I was very dissapointed to see the file dialog function dissapear only to be replaced by an express VI. Perhaps more annoying than this is the fact that they added a new feature that is only available via a configuration page. I'm talking about the multi-select.

post-2-1156833806.png?width=400

So you think that if you break the express vi you will get the primitive with the multi-select as a wired input? Nope. You STILL have a property page. What's the solution? You end up creating your own wrapper that allows the wiring of the selection mode.

post-2-1156834219.png?width=400

I could not agree more about the file dialog express VI.

On a side note, it saddly seem that in the latest LV version, primitive overloading through right click option is getting to be the norm.

So on answering your question

1) No I did not use it. But to access the primitive this is a pain (drop express) right click to see bd, open subVI and finally copy primitive.

2) I prefer small icon. Why: Real estate. As a style, I dont like code that waste space.

3) No

4) I use the daq assistant express VIs before generating the LV code form it (actually this is a pretty handy one)

PJM

And I'll "third" that motion - I spent about 30 seconds looking at Express VIs when they first came out, and have avoid them since. I totally agree that right-click "configuration" of a function or VI is horribly bug-prone, and much less flexible.

1. I haven't used 8.20 yet, but when I do I'm sure I'll use the primitive.

2. Small all the way - real estate is too important.

3. Anyone know how to add the primitive to the palette?

4. None - though I suppose the DAQ assistant is useful for a first pass

Jaegen

I've used the File Dialog Express VI, and prefer it in its icon only form. As I do with most express VI's that I use, if I plan on using them in a real project. I also use the DAQ Assistant more than any other Express VIs, and I'm also disappointed that the File Dialog primitive has gone away... I'm not totally against Express VIs, after all my favorite version of LV is still 7.0 (aka 7 Express) but I try not to use them in "production code" unless there is a real good reason to do so.

Express VIs are to LabVIEW what crayons are to art; very few serious artists use them in their work but they get a lot of people to try their hand at art and a few people that try will become one of those serious artists. And those serious artists typically out grow crayons except where it really makes sense in their work.

Just another medium for work that most of the beginners will start with and the pros will typically not use. As a pro, I use them but not very often and only when I know it is what I am really after. Elapsed time, DAQ assistant (as a starting point), Instrument assistant (although not often), and the formula one are all I typically use. And now, the File Dialog. Sometimes I just "sketch something out" with them to prove to myself that I am headed the right direction.

Some people here seem almost offended by Express VIs but I don't really understand why master artists would be offended by someone handing out crayons.

Bob Young

Express VIs are to LabVIEW what crayons are to art; very few serious artists use them in their work but they get a lot of people to try their hand at art and a few people that try will become one of those serious artists. And those serious artists typically out grow crayons except where it really makes sense in their work.

Nice analogy! :thumbup:

I never use express vi's. I tend to use Labview for data processing or data collection using 3rd party acquisition boards. For that reason, the DAQ Assistant that everyone else is using isn't very useful. Because I'm usually dealing with high data rates and/or very large data sets, I usually try to maximize my code's performance, which means that the extra overhead associated with Express VI's scares me.

Gary