mac/windows over the network... with Labview

tibobo

Hello guys,

I have many computers acquiring datas, and I need to read and write these datas from a single ethernet hard drive (LaCie 500 GB, FAT32).

On a Mac G5 with LV8, once the ethernet drive is mounted in the finder, I try to read a simple config (or text or binary...) file in labview, but I get an open/create/replace file code 10 error.

I've got the same behavior with a file located on a PC hard drive (mounted in the Finder too), but I don't have any problem with a file on a Mac hard drive.

It works when I try the same from a PC with LV8. For me, all this tells it's related to smb/cifs stuffs...

I tried manual path entries like : "file://Volumes/GRESSENSGRP;U676-BACKUP/Datas/file.txt", etc... but nothing works. I didn't find the same problem in the forums...

Any idea ?

thanks

Boris

Hello guys,

I have many computers acquiring datas, and I need to read and write these datas from a single ethernet hard drive (LaCie 500 GB, FAT32).

On a Mac G5 with LV8, once the ethernet drive is mounted in the finder, I try to read a simple config (or text or binary...) file in labview, but I get an open/create/replace file code 10 error.

I've got the same behavior with a file located on a PC hard drive (mounted in the Finder too), but I don't have any problem with a file on a Mac hard drive.

It works when I try the same from a PC with LV8. For me, all this tells it's related to smb/cifs stuffs...

I tried manual path entries like : "file://Volumes/GRESSENSGRP;U676-BACKUP/Datas/file.txt", etc... but nothing works. I didn't find the same problem in the forums...

Any idea ?

thanks

Boris

First I have no experience with Mac/finder.

Error 10 is a duplicate path error, I've only seen these when copying a file into it's own, or creating an existing folder. Maybe it is an access rights thing. A quick test might be a VI with only an open file vi, this will launch a browser so you can open the file, if this still give an error (and you can open the file with another application) it might be a bug.

Ton

Hi Ton,

Thanks for your post.

Error 10 is a duplicate path error, I've only seen these when copying a file into it's own, or creating an existing folder.

I get alternatively an error 10 or an error 7 depending on the open vi I use (config file, file,...)

Maybe it is an access rights thing. A quick test might be a VI with only an open file vi, this will launch a browser so you can open the file, if this still give an error (and you can open the file with another application) it might be a bug.

I tried with a simple vi and I get an error. I also tried to use a read-only option, and there shouldn't be any right access on this drive. When I ask them in the Finder, I have read/write permissions.

What is strange is that I'm able to use the list folder vi with no error. If I use the output to build a path and then open it I get an error.

You're right, it should be an access rights problem... but I can't figure out how to solve it...

Boris

I don't have ethernet hard drive, but read text file or ini file from PC hard drive works on my G5. (Mac OS 10.4.6, LV8.2 - PC hard drive formated in FAT32).

Can you give us more information about your configuration ?

ptit bras

I don't have ethernet hard drive, but read text file or ini file from PC hard drive works on my G5. (Mac OS 10.4.6, LV8.2 - PC hard drive formated in FAT32).

Can you give us more information about your configuration ?

I tried on a G5 10.4.7, LV 8.0.1, and on a Powerbook G4 10.4.7, LV8.0.1, to read files from PC hard drives formatted in FAT 32 and NTFS (both don't work). I had problem with file transfers in my network in the past (strange things such as file not readable anymore after transfer) and I probably should search this way...

Thanks for the test anyway :beer: !

Boris