Any mercy for LV 6.0?

kevin

Hello Folks:

I am getting back into LabVIEW after some years of being out-of-pocket with the latest and greatest. :o I have LV 6.0 and can't afford to get 8.20 (or the latest) - yet. Is there much LV 6.0 stuff here and in the repository? Are people still developing in 6.0? Any good online tutorials to help knock some of the rust off?

Thanks,

Kevin

You'd be hard pressed to find any LV 6.0 code here.

For one thing, people normally save in their own version and, even if they didn't, they could only save one version backwards.

For another, there have been quite a few significant additions and changes to LV since version 6.0 (events, timed loops, projects, LV Classes, more advanced scripting, etc.) and the code simply wouldn't work in 6.0.

Some people are still developing in 6.0, but most professionals will have a newer versions and would only use old versions to support existing projects.

There are some tutorials floating around (although not here). The simplest way to find them is probably by searching either Google or the NI forums. There are also some books around.

As for getting a newer versions, you could try shopping for a used 7.1 copy (or maybe even 8.0) or you could try getting the student edition (which is technically for educational use, but that's what you want, right?). Another option would be to download the evaluation versions. Recent versions of LV (I think since around 7.0) have had 30 days of evaluation and if you download them in sequence that should give you a few months for free. I think you can find them all on NI's FTP site, but if not, your local NI representative probably has a million of them stocked and if you're on good terms you can probably get them all.