Features Available in different versions

For work, I am developing a small program for a work application (no instruments involoved in the V.I., or program (The program uses typically more complex programming done for the people it is targeted towards...- multiple dialog windows, loops, arrays, subarays, sql calls, transferring data from the user interface, using that to call from our oracle database, possibly transferring data to spreadsheets and vice versa) . I have gotten the feel for these labview and visual programming from version 6.1, which is an old license i have access to before I was able to justify getting a seat for a license for 7.1.1 (which is the newest version available at this company). I have done some programming (the majority of the real work that will go to the program) in Labview 8.0.1. I have formed the structure of the program around Labview 8.0.1 nodes in the terminals (which I have noticed are slightly different from Labview 6.11), as well as some features that are definitely such as the variant feature, sql manipulation functions, and functions transferring data from between interface, oracle, and excel spreadsheets, and possibly manipulating the data using the statistical functions, working off a friend's copy, who has a legal license he obtained from outside this company. It is likely that the newest license I can have for use from my company is Labview 7.1.1. Since I am not able to look at either 7.11 or Labview 8.0.1, or more importantly, their help files for node inputs and function descriptions, I was wondering if there was a source for a description for these features and the differences between each version of labview, so I can know at least what I could do with each version, and plan the data structuring of the coding in the lead time up to getting an appropriate licesnse. I was also wondering if there was any tips for "programming around" the variant feature when it is not available in any of the older versions. This feature really elimates consideration one has to take for making variables compatible, and would probably affect the structure of the block diagram considerably as far as I understand. If anyone has any ideas, input, or suggestions to actually get this program coded (which license would I need to complete a task using the feautres mentioned above or what features I can plan around in the lead time...etc...)...let me know!!!!

Ok, I have looked on the website and saw that there is a Database connectivity tool kit that can be bought for $995 that can be used with versions as early as 6.0. There is a pdf document in one of the other posts called Labview upgrade notes. I haven't gone over been abble to review it completely to figure out the differences from upgrade to upgrade, but if anyone has read the document and/or familiar with the connectivity tool and the best licesnse to go for, please feel free to input. Also, the lab manual sucks, espeically for manipulating between the block diagram and instrument panel, the tools, and where all the features are located, everything has to be learned by trial and error, and then double cheching what u chose with the help file. Is there a source of doing actual programming in lab view????????

maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not a native speaker ... but... I have no idea what you want to do (or what you've tried to do to get there)

No, it is very hard to read. Now we are annoyed. Perhaps "annoyed" is also not a native speaker.

However, native or not, no care was taken to organize the thoughts, and no effort was made to puctuate in a manner to enhance understanding.

To the original author: at least learn to hit enter and create a paragraph every now and then. If what you write is too hard to comprehend, then not much help will be recruited.

M

No, it is very hard to read. Now we are annoyed. Perhaps "annoyed" is also not a native speaker.

However, native or not, no care was taken to organize the thoughts, and no effort was made to puctuate in a manner to enhance understanding.

To the original author: at least learn to hit enter and create a paragraph every now and then. If what you write is too hard to comprehend, then not much help will be recruited.

M

I have a customer who's spec read like that...

To answer your question re:Changes

Every release of LabVIEW comes with Release Notes and Upgrade Notes. While they do NOT cover every change, they do address the biggies.

If you do not find what you need in those documents, then please post follow-up Q's regarding the specific feature and we will do our best to help.

Ben

If anyone has any ideas, input, or suggestions to actually get this program coded (which license would I need to complete a task using the feautres mentioned above or what features I can plan around in the lead time...etc...)...let me know!!!!

National Instruments generally won't sell an older version of LabVIEW than is currently released. LabVIEW can generally open VIs from older versions without any problems, the changes will be noted when you load. Simply put, use LabVIEW 8.2 and you're all set. You can download an evaluation version and use it for thirty days before it disables. Talk to an NI rep about upgrade pricing for any older version of LabVIEW to 8.20.

Ok, I have looked on the website and saw that there is a Database connectivity tool kit that can be bought for $995 that can be used with versions as early as 6.0. There is a pdf document in one of the other posts called Labview upgrade notes. I haven't gone over been abble to review it completely to figure out the differences from upgrade to upgrade, but if anyone has read the document and/or familiar with the connectivity tool and the best licesnse to go for, please feel free to input.

There are two options for database access you can look at; see this link (ADO Toolkit) and the LabSQL toolkit.

Is there a source of doing actual programming in lab view????????

A new book has been released that might help: LabVIEW for Everyone, Third Edition (see link).

As far as "employed/annoyed", there are plenty of people who would be HAPPY to be employed, and lots of people who can consult/contract for you if LabVIEW is not your area of expertise. I couldn't follow all the versions/licenses/legal copies statements, but be advised that NI employees do read these forums. There is also a policy of deleting any postings regarding acquiring activation codes or circumventing the licensing of LabVIEW. These are just fair warnings, as this is appears to be your first post.

I suggest you get the latest copy of LabVIEW 8.20 (legaly) and open your existing code and start fixing the areas of concern. On the other hand, If you only have 6.1 then just program away as you always did with that version. Just because a newer version of LV has some cool new feature doesn't mean you have to incorporate it into your 6.1 code or make sure it will be compatible with 8.20. The newer versions of LV will automatically recompile and replace deperecated functions with newer equivalents, most of the time, automatically. Just beware that once you start using 8.20 features, then you cannot, in general, downgrade your code to an older version.