New 8.x application installer builder much better...

I would like to see the following features in future versions of the application installer builder.

• Ability to use keyword substitution in the information fields. For example, if I want to specify a subfolder where I want my shortcuts to be installed, I should be able to specify [Manufacturer]\[ProductName]. It seems that some fields support this but some don't. It's not consistent.
  • Ability to hide the path selection field for National Instruments software installs. I prefer to hardcode this and not allow the user to change it.
  • Ability to launch an EXE before or during the installation. This exe may be included with the installer. Also this exe may require the LV run-time which means that we need the ability to install the run-time first.
  • The "run the executable after the installation" option should have the ability to show a checkbox to the user to selectively run this if they want.
  • The additional NI installers must have an option to download from the web (NI site). This way we can reduce the distribution size. When selected, the installer would download the required setup then run it. In addition to this we should be allowed to overide the NI web distribution URL. This would allow companies to re-distribute the installer on an internal server if necessary.
  • The additional NI installers only shows what's installed. It would be nice to allow selection of other versions not available on your machine.
  • More powerful "system requirements" section. For example, only install if specific registry keys or files exist.
  • Finally, the ability to bundle the install files into a single setup.exe.

[*]The "run the executable after the installation" option should have the ability to show a checkbox to the user to selectively run this if they want.

That should be developer controllable as well (maybe a setting so we can hide/gray-out that checkbox)

Great list Mike - well done!

Great list Mike, I agree with all of them. I am wondering where the line would be between adding all these in GUI enhancements, or when we start to get into a scripting enhancement. I suppose some of that could be handled by launching an EXE like you mention. I am also wondering if any of these are covered by patents from other companies, like perhaps InstallShield.

• Ability to launch an EXE before or during the installation. This exe may be included with the installer. Also this exe may require the LV run-time which means that we need the ability to install the run-time first.

In my opinion, this single feature fulfills most of my use cases since I can make my own code to do what I want.
  • 1 year later...

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Sep 26 2006, 09:46 AM)

I would like to see the following features in future versions of the application installer builder.
  • Ability to use keyword substitution in the information fields. For example, if I want to specify a subfolder where I want my shortcuts to be installed, I should be able to specify [Manufacturer]\[ProductName]. It seems that some fields support this but some don't. It's not consistent.

And one place to make these setting!

Currently NI always uses the name when app builder was installed!

Our company changed names and it seems a little unprofessional if you find the old name in the installer setting under ©

Ton